AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: My discus doesn't like the power head flow

Registered Member

Default My discus doesn't like the power head flow

So i picked up a power head a few weeks ago its rated 1000 gph i have a 125 gallon tank with a fluval fx6 and an aquaclear 110 but all my discus stay on the side opposite of the flow of the power head crowding together im sure because theres not a stong current on that side.i decided to try a power head to help my plants out a little to give them a little better flow maybe i need a smaller power head the plants seem to be doing a little better ive always had issue with brown algae or diatoms on my plants it seems to have helped some.what size power head do you guys use.has any one had any experience with that size tank im thinking maybe try two small power heads like 300 gph just to get the leaves moving what do you guys think thanks alot would love to hear from you all .

Default Re: My discus doesn't like the power head flow

Is the powerhead blowing across the top of the tank? If so, you might try a couple smaller wavemaker type powerheads closer to the bottom instead.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by matt2426 View Post
    So i picked up a power head a few weeks ago its rated 1000 gph i have a 125 gallon tank with a fluval fx6 and an aquaclear 110 but all my discus stay on the side opposite of the flow of the power head crowding together im sure because theres not a stong current on that side.i decided to try a power head to help my plants out a little to give them a little better flow maybe i need a smaller power head the plants seem to be doing a little better ive always had issue with brown algae or diatoms on my plants it seems to have helped some.what size power head do you guys use.has any one had any experience with that size tank im thinking maybe try two small power heads like 300 gph just to get the leaves moving what do you guys think thanks alot would love to hear from you all .
    We have an almost identical setup. I have a 118 gal, fluval FX6, Ehiem pro 4, and a hydor power head. My discus are juvies but they actively swim in the flow like they're testing their might. The power head is lower and towards the back aimed at the plants so they have an option to play in it. Perhaps your power head needs to be lowered and directed.

I'm running a aquaclear 40 powerhead on my 125gal it's on the far end of the tank and it's on my under gravel lift tube with the flow aimed at the front of the tank and my fish seem to enjoy it. Dee

I'm running a 1600 gph powerhead in my 200 gallon tank, and my Discus love the flow; they play in it and occasionally do a loop-the-loop in the current. I have the powerhead pointed upwards to create a lot of surface disruption to keep oxygen level high. I am running 2 X Fluval FX6 filters and have the outputs running cross-current to the powerhead; this creates a lot of surface agitation, and probably mitigates the flow from the powerhead.

Registered Member

ok thanks for all the replies here is a picture to give you guys an idea on how i have mine positioned maybe its just a matter of the fish getting adjusted to it but let me know if you know if it needs to get re postioned 60926841_671456839973152_3915519974919110656_n (1).jpg

Real Name
    Willie

In my experience, it's more about the size of the fish versus the size of the tank. 4" or bigger discus love current. 2" discus get blown around.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

i just turned the power head off yesterday to see if the fish would act differently and sure enough there swimming around the whole tank again i may try a weaker power head and see how they react i want to add a power head because ive read it helps with the plants and it seems like it does with the weeks ive had it in but my main concern is i want my discus happy how strong of a power head would you guys try just want enough flow to get the plant leaves moving but nothing too strong thanks

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rolla P View Post
    We have an almost identical setup. I have a 118 gal, fluval FX6, Ehiem pro 4, and a hydor power head. My discus are juvies but they actively swim in the flow like they're testing their might. The power head is lower and towards the back aimed at the plants so they have an option to play in it. Perhaps your power head needs to be lowered and directed.
    do you know what gph your power head is im thinking mine is just to strong