AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Are discus very territorial?

Registered Member

Default Are discus very territorial?

I have 6 discus in a 135g tank since about 1 month ago. For the first few weeks they were swimming around, spawning every few days. Now my marlboro red just stays under this driftwood most of the time, and if anyone gets near him he chases them away. Its a bit difficult to re-arrange the decor, so if I added 4 or 5 more discus, will this help reduce the discus from being territorial?

On another note, any way to stop them from spawning? They spawn every 4-5 days and then become even more aggressive/territorial.

Registered Member

Default Re: Are discus very territorial?

Quote Originally Posted by chiuey View Post
    I have 6 discus in a 135g tank since about 1 month ago. For the first few weeks they were swimming around, spawning every few days. Now my marlboro red just stays under this driftwood most of the time, and if anyone gets near him he chases them away. Its a bit difficult to re-arrange the decor, so if I added 4 or 5 more discus, will this help reduce the discus from being territorial?

On another note, any way to stop them from spawning? They spawn every 4-5 days and then become even more aggressive/territorial.
    Actually there is another discus that can swim near him and he doesn't mind, only all the other ones he hates.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi chiuey, discus are cichlids and they joust with each other for pecking order, breeding partners and while feeding. Sometimes adding more discus to a group can help. There is a fair chance your one lone discus is a female who has picked a spawning site and the one it does not chase a possible mate. My only suggestion to stop them from spawning is to separate the sexes. However you can have two either females or males pair up and pretend to spawn. I had two wild males do that.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Willie

You can stop the spawning by dropping the water temperature to 75F - 77F.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Well, I added 5 more discus and looks like they are all sharing now for the most part and a little more calm. Thanks!