AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Filtration

Default Filtration

Would it be to much to run a ac110 filter and a ac70 in a 75gal tank right now I'm just running the 110 but have a very high bio load and the 110 seems to struggle. Dee

Default Re: Filtration

I don't think even two 110's would be too much flow.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Joe

I am a firm believer in the more filtration the better. Case in point I run an Eheim 2217 along with a 2215 and a sponge filter on a 55g. As far as to much flow, depends on what the inhabitants prefer. If it to much there are quite few different options to diffuse it.
    In fact I just got some "Discus" and for 36 hours they stayed around the bottom of the tank 95% of the time. I know they are new and shy at first. But I decided to remove the spray bar that was outputting the length of the tank about an inch from the surface. Coincidence or not they are swimming all around the tank. Mainly towards the top and middle.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by jmaldo; 05-25-2019 at 11:35 PM. Reason: speeling
    "Patience Young Grasshopper"

It's important to differentiate flow and filtration. Best filtration (excluding sumps) for a 75 gal would probably be a 3" mat filter run at 2-6x tank volume per hour. Best flow is dependent on the type of fish and how the flow is directed (like Joe said).

Quote Originally Posted by jmaldo View Post
    I am a firm believer in the more filtration the better. Case in point I run an Eheim 2217 along with a 2215 and a sponge filter on a 55g. As far as to much flow, depends on what the inhabitants prefer. If it to much there are quite few different options to diffuse it.
    In fact I just got some "Discus" and for 36 hours they stayed around the bottom of the tank 95% of the time. I know they are new and shy at first. But I decided to remove the spray bar that was outputting the length of the tank about an inch from the surface. Coincidence or not they are swimming all around the tank. Mainly towards the top and middle.
    Good Luck!
    Thanks for the ideas and I see your in northeast ohio, what's your favorite lfs

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    It's important to differentiate flow and filtration. Best filtration (excluding sumps) for a 75 gal would probably be a 3" mat filter run at 2-6x tank volume per hour. Best flow is dependent on the type of fish and how the flow is directed (like Joe said).
    Educate me on mat filtration Thanks Dee

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Dee1958 View Post
    Thanks for the ideas and I see your in northeast ohio, what's your favorite lfs
    http://somethingfishyinc.net/

Dave and the crew are "Great" very knowledgeable and helpful. Has a lot of cichilds along with other freshwater fish. They sometimes have tours of the Fish cave under the store. Unbelievable!
    Just "Ask"
    Here is a vid of a tour.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXY0CQo0B1o
    "Patience Young Grasshopper"