ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Has any body tried Sera Siporax for there bio media

Registered Member

Default Has any body tried Sera Siporax for there bio media

https://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-su...nal-102oz.html

Was just curious if anyone has tried this stuff for your bio media ive always just used bio max wonder if its worth the extra money thanks

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Has any body tried Sera Siporax for there bio media

Lots of filter media “work.” In saying that, I replaced all my media with this and have not been disappointed. Use the bacteria starter directly on the media.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Lots of filter media “work.” In saying that, I replaced all my media with this and have not been disappointed. Use the bacteria starter directly on the media.
    so you replaced all your bio media at once and added the new sera with the bacteria starter id be a little nervous about doing that wouldn't want my tank to go through a cycle. im thinking about adding a little at a time but this stuff looks good did it make any kind of difference in tank clarity i read its suppose to make your tank look crystal clear and help with alage and remove nitrate and everything else thats harmful to the tank. what size tank do you have how much did you buy i have a 125 gallon tank looks like id have to buy like 3 boxes of it kinda pricey really.

Real Name
    Frank

I did replace all in my canister but having said that, I also run 2 large sponge filters in my 75gal, along with sponge pre-filters in my canisters (all had been fully cycled for months). I also did daily WC and stayed on top of the cycle. I had plenty of biological media to make up the canister change.

As far as how much, I filled my Fluval fx4 full (I think it was 2 boxes). If your tank is cycled and doing well, I would change maybe a third every month if you want to change.

It’s not a miracle media but my water was clearer.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    I did replace all in my canister but having said that, I also run 2 large sponge filters in my 75gal, along with sponge pre-filters in my canisters (all had been fully cycled for months). I also did daily WC and stayed on top of the cycle. I had plenty of biological media to make up the canister change.

As far as how much, I filled my Fluval fx4 full (I think it was 2 boxes). If your tank is cycled and doing well, I would change maybe a third every month if you want to change.

It’s not a miracle media but my water was clearer.
    ok thanks for the reply i may give it a try

Real Name
    Mervin

It makes a clam that it removes nitrate. It should read. Converts ammonia or ammonium and nitrite to nitrate and can be removed by WC's.

I've never seen any first hand, but it looks like the ceramic media sold by most manufacturers.... Fluval etc.... If you read any manufacturers brochure they all claim to have the holy grail of material, pore size and water flow efficiency.
    At that price I'd pass unless you are severely restricted by filter space available.
    That said, I've tried many media types over the years and nothing has worked better than simple foam sponges and bio_balls

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    I've never seen any first hand, but it looks like the ceramic media sold by most manufacturers.... Fluval etc.... If you read any manufacturers brochure they all claim to have the holy grail of material, pore size and water flow efficiency.
    At that price I'd pass unless you are severely restricted by filter space available.
    That said, I've tried many media types over the years and nothing has worked better than simple foam sponges and bio_balls
    Ya i hear ya its real expensive for bio media. im probally going to pass on it for now. i'm just going to stick with the bio max that ive done I'm just always looking for the next best thing but not sure how much better it can be if it wasnt so expensive i may give it a try

If you're not using one already, your best bet for effective filtration is a sump. Make it as big as reasonable and you can pretty much forget about it.
    I have a handful of various canisters down in the basement that I wouldn't think of using again other than an emergency or temp setup.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    If you're not using one already, your best bet for effective filtration is a sump. Make it as big as reasonable and you can pretty much forget about it.
    I have a handful of various canisters down in the basement that I wouldn't think of using again other than an emergency or temp setup.
    Ya ive thought about using a sump seems like that is the best way to go maybe in the near future ill go with that. especially with a display tank since all of your equipment is out of sight but thanks for the responses.

Registered Member

Hello,

I use it for my discustank as well as for my reeftank for a long time. Nitrates are almost at zero (less than 5ppm) in both tanks, due to the better anaerobic denitrification compared to other substrates.
    I have no plants in my discustank and the municipal water I use for my discustank has a nitrate level of 10ppm. I wouldn't use anything else except maybe a Hamburger Mattenfilter.

Quote Originally Posted by pascal View Post
    Hello,

I use it for my discustank as well as for my reeftank for a long time. Nitrates are almost at zero (less than 5ppm) in both tanks, due to the better anaerobic denitrification compared to other substrates.
    I have no plants in my discustank and the municipal water I use for my discustank has a nitrate level of 10ppm. I wouldn't use anything else except maybe a Hamburger Mattenfilter.
    So are you saying that you never do water changes?

Registered Member

I wish I could say that. I do a water change twice or three times a week. I'm not a champion, but it works well for me. I have 3 discus and 1 altum, 3-5 years old. I almost don't feed beefheart.
    What I suppose is that Siporax is contributing to the reduction of nitrate more than other biosubstrates I have tried in the past.

Very good... Stay on those water changes ;-)