ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8 Tanks, 1 Sump, Direct Bulkheads, Too Noisy?

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Default Re: 8 Tanks, 1 Sump, Direct Bulkheads, Too Noisy?

Holy cow, has life gotten in the way. I can't believe a year has gone by since I started this post. Successfully drilled the first few tanks for the 1/2" bulkheads.. Waiting on the new glass bit to drill for the 3/4" bulkheads. I've decided to join the two halves of the sump with 1" bulkheads, so I will drill those out today... I'll take photos.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Default Re: 8 Tanks, 1 Sump, Direct Bulkheads, Too Noisy?

I finished all of the Bulkheads. Twin Sump Sections (2 X 20L) required a 1" Bulkhead, which was a 1 3/4" hole.
    Each of the 20L tanks (4 X 20L) required a 1/2" bulkhead supply for a 1 1/8" hole at the very top, another 1/2" bulkhead drain for a 1 1/8" hole in the middle of an end piece, and 2 X 3/4" bulkheads for gravity feed to sump which was 2 1-1/2" holes at the very top on an end.

The places where I was drilling along the top, just 1/4" to 3/8" from the top edge made me nervous.. So I created jigs to sandwich the glass.. There was a single 1-1/8" hole jig and a double 1-1/2" hole jig. The 1/2" drain hole in the center of an end piece did not require a jig.

Single 1-1/8" jig arrangement for 1/2" bulkhead along the top.
    AnotherViewHalfInchBulheadHoleDrillSetup.jpg

No jig arrangment for single 1-1/8" hole in center of end piece.
    HalFInchBulkheadMidLevelDrillSetup.jpg

This is what happens when you rush and think you can drill the last 1-1/8" hole along the top without a jig... Lesson learned... Purchased 8 tanks for this 6 tank project. Broke the first one removing the rims... Now broke the last one doing the drilling.
    Broken-NoJigUsed.jpg

Twin 1-1/2" Hole Jig for the Twin 3/4" Bulkheads along the top. 2 big holes close together, near the edge, through thin glass.
    ThreeQuarterBulkHeadTopJigSetup.jpg

Results for Twin 1-1/2" Holes. Good on all 4 20L aquariums.
    SuccessTwinThreeQuarterBulkheadTopHolesjpg.jpg

This is what each of the 4 X 20L looks like with the rims off, silicon cleaned up (not a final cleanup.. will do it one more time), and the bulkheads fitted. The water level sat about 7/8" just below the rim when full of water... A little lower than I wanted, but I wanted the security of the twin 3/4" bulkheads to minimize plugging of lines with plant leaves.
    20LDerimmed4Bulkheads.jpg

Sumps are less dramatic. One has a 1-1/2" hole for the 1/2" bulkhead for the pump and a 1-3/4" hole for the 1" bulkhead to connect the tanks. The other half of the sump just has the single 1-3/4" hole for the other 1" bulkhead to connect the tanks.
    OnePartoftheSump.jpg
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12