AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tannins?

Default Re: Tannins?

@ Pat.
    Interesting thread. But from what I gathered the tea doesn't have the same tannin /pH affect as driftwood or peat.

@Tony
    You may want to consider a sperate small canister if you don't want to put whatever you choose directly in the tank.
    It needs to be replaced/maintained more often than the other media in your fx6's. Plus I wouldn't want to give up valuable media real estate in the fx6 that would better serve you as biological.

I have used driftwood and peat. I have used the tea. I have used the fluvic acid. All I know is that they all have the same affect on the fish and that's what matters.
    Mama Bear

Yes momma, in that respect you are correct... But Tony's initial question brought up two concerns, tannins and cost.
    With the amount of water changes we do I think it is hard to beat peat taking both into consideration.
    But I'm glad to learn about the tea and fulvic myself as all knowledge is good and I like to have options ;-)

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    @ Pat.
    Interesting thread. But from what I gathered the tea doesn't have the same tannin /pH affect as driftwood or peat.
    The tea will not affect the ph slicksta but it does strain the water nicely. I prefer to handle ph thru other means.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Yes water chemistry is complicated and there is no one solution for all trying to achieve a desired outcome.
    Not sure what affect the driftwood had with Tony's fish that he would like to duplicate at a lower cost but now he has 3 things he can start with.
    I say our work is done ;-)

Registered Member

Since you are running canister filters, you could use peat put between 2 sponges in the center of one of the trays of the FX6. I did this for years in a Rena XP3 on a 55 gallon and it worked great. It lasted for a couple of months and then you just dump it out and rinse the sponges and put in some more. I would get a big bag of it at Lowes for about 10-12 bucks and it would last for a few years. Just keep an eye on your ph at first to see how much it goes down.

And if you are one who has to age their water, but some in a media bag in your water storage container as well.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12