Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My story

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ashok Varghese

Default Re: My story

Please let me know if my fish looks healthy or I royally messed up

Your fish look just fine, Ashok - don't be concerned.

I love that Blue Snake Skin that looks like a Blue Diamond until you look at it hard. I wish one of mine from Al was that type. You are doing well.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ashok Varghese

Now my next question: I have two fish that only half the size of the rest. They are very active and attack the food! I haven't seen any other fish messing (bullying) them. Since this is my first group of discus, I don't want to get rid of them. Is there are any downside of keeping them other than eating the food and taking up space? Whenever I approach the tank, they always come and greet me. Please advice

If they were mine, and they were not getting skinny I would keep them as hero fish. If you can post pics of them head on and from the sics I'd be able to advise you better
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I was going to post something similar until I read this first. Buying from a forum sponsor is the first good step in raising quality discus. Some will be smaller than others. As it is with all things in life. I had read that the wild strains tend to grow slower than the others. I have one wild cross that was larger in October than his tank mates. Now is he is the little guy. Yet he is still a brilliant colored and healthy fish.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ashok Varghese

Thank you Liz and Peewee! I am glad that it is OK to keep them. They are very friendly. They will even let me touch them. I started giving them some home made beef heart food. I learned quiet a bit about Beef heart anatomy and made some mistakes that I will explain later. They love it though.

Real Name
    Brian

These are your first discus? You are doing a very good job at raising them. Your research is paying off!!

As for the smaller ones, don't be too concerned. I had a few that are smaller, and one much smaller and it now appears to be catching up!!

Real Name
    Brian

As for the one that looks like a BD, this is what you can expect as it grows and develops its color.

challenge 99.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ashok Varghese

Brian, How old is this fish? It looks beautiful

Real Name
    Brian

I got it I think last September as a very small fry, so maybe 8 months? It still has a lot of coloring up to do...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ashok Varghese

Wow! is the only word to explain. I met Cary Strong and saw adult Discus for the first time. I am so impressed! I learn so much from him also. Wow!

Cary has always loved to share his knowledge.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

He probably doesn't remember me because it was so long ago, but Liz is right. Just like Al, a 5 minute conversation with Cary can easily turn into an hour, lol... I've learned so much from both of them!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ashok Varghese

Please advice!

Today I noticed my few small fish look darker than normal. I check my water and everything was fine. I even took some to LFS. I change 70% water daily. So I did a 99.5% water change -My fish were laying flat on the bottom of the tank- and one of the medium size one got in to the python tube! Now he is acting up! I noticed a small scar on the side of the body and he turn dark! He is all spooked and hiding behind the filter. When I turn the light on to see the damage, He is running around the tank to escape from this cruel human! Help me with both issues please

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast