AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decapsulated Brine Shrimp Eggs

Default Decapsulated Brine Shrimp Eggs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Decapsulate....c100167.m2940

Anybody ever use these with fry?
    Pro's - Cons

Thank you....

Decapsulated Artemia cysts are made from GSL cysts that have not broken diapause and will never hatch. The decapsulation procedure consists of chemically removing or oxidizing the outer chorion with a hypochloride solution. All that remains following decapsulation is the bright orange embryo surrounded by a thin hatching membrane. The decapsulated cysts are neutralized and are completely digestible buy the fish or shrimp larvae.

Feed the decapsulated Artemia cysts directly to your Fish. Do not incubate as with hatching cysts as these cysts will not hatch. As a feed source, decapsulated cysts have a higher energy and nutritional value than live Artemia nauplii as zero energy is consumed in the hatching process and lipids, amino acids, and enzymes are left intact
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Default Re: Decapsulated Brine Shrimp Eggs

I use them only when my live bbs dosen't hatch out.
    The fry like live bbs much more. I see the advantages only in less work and cheap price only.

Cliff

Yeah I didn't think they would be accepted as well as live, especially when given the option or if live have been fed in the past.
    Hatching live isn't possible for me at this time and was looking for an alternative initial food.

A smaller amount can be made at home. I used to do it when mine didn't hatch. It takes a lot of Clorox in the water along with the salt but it doesn't take long. Their of lots of tutorials on youtube.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post

Hatching live isn't possible for me at this time and was looking for an alternative initial food.
    Try feeding a banana for a few weeks.

Cliff

@Cliff
    Haven't thought about fruit/vegetable
    Do you just put in a slice and see if they peck a it?

@ Liz
    Yeah I realize that's probably a lifetime supply for me but at this time I'm preoccupied and easy is worth the $10. Then I was also thinking I can let my Tetras have some if they'll have it.
    I did search the forum as I asked this and some say they use it but most say the fry won't accept it much.

You can always find a guppy friend if the discus don't like it. Livebearers and livebearer fry love the stuff.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    @Cliff
    Haven't thought about fruit/vegetable
    Do you just put in a slice and see if they peck a it?

@ Liz
    Yeah I realize that's probably a lifetime supply for me but at this time I'm preoccupied and easy is worth the $10. Then I was also thinking I can let my Tetras have some if they'll have it.
    I did search the forum as I asked this and some say they use it but most say the fry won't accept it much.
    The banana is mix with spirulina and APR. The amount of food depends on the size of the batch, remember my
    fry are raised without the parents so they never had
    the taste of slime this for disease prevent.

Cliff

Ok... I thought you would make round slices and the fry would attach to it like a parent's slime_coat.... lol

Registered Member

Oh, as for the non-hatching decapsulated I soak them in a small amount of water and microwave
    for 10 second. The scent of the shrimp is what
    the fry like plus it also soften the shrimp.

Cliff

Thanks All...
    I'm at about 8 days free swimming so I tried to feed these 3 times yesterday. As far as I can tell they don't even notice them.
    On the positive side.. The Cardinals started accepting them on the 3rd feeding and started to frenzy.

@ Cliff... I followed your advice to some extent.
    I heated some water to about 180°f in an eyedropper bottle and then added the eggs.
    I put in about a weeks worth and storing them in the fridge. Makes it a little easier to dose if they decide to accept them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For anyone that might be curious. . .

I've been feeding small amounts of these for just under 2 weeks and the fry don't seem interested at all. That said, they don't seem interested in any prepared foods such as pulverized flake, pellet or fdbkw.
    On the decaps I've tried preparing them in cooler yet still warm water and tank water as well.

Tetras are loving them, but the problem is that it also attracts the angels to the area and the Tetras feed cautiously so I can only feed small amounts at one time.

At what age do fry typically start accepting prepared foods?

Have you tried freeze dried daphnia this is a very small food which is also high in protein while I don't have fry my juvies accept this and soon you should be able to feed chopped live blackworm that's one food that they get a taste of they don't spit out just make sure you rinse them good in cold water before feeding and congrats on your spawn.
    Jeanne

And here's another one I found in going through my foods, Nori seaweed, I buy this in sheets which are about 2in. × 6in. And you will need a veggie clip, looks like the clips you put on your potato chip bags except that it has a suction cup, I would try a 1in × 3in piece and put the 1in width in the clip leaving the length to sway in the water, put your clip about half way down the depth of your tankpull up a chair and watch what happens,and also feed this to your adults.

Jeanne

Ok. . . I'll answer my own question :-D

The fry have started eating the decapsulated shrimp eggs and other solids mentioned above just after 3 weeks free swimming in this scenario.
    This has been going on for a few days now and I'm thinking to remove mom around the 1 month marker.
    The eyedropper bottle is working well as a delivery system and I'm a little more confident my tired eyes won't over feed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast