AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Really stressed out right now!

Registered Member

Exclamation Really stressed out right now!

Hi guys

Im a fresh discus owner and in the jungle of foods and recommendations I've fed my discus Freeze Dried Tubiflex Cubes two times and just was told DONT DO IT! So now I am terrified, heartbroken and stressed out that I have made my discus babies sick :-( Any recalming words or have I stepped deep into a baaad bad path Is there anything I can feed them asap that can help? I just want to go an throw up

Registered Member

Default Re: Really stressed out right now!

Relax, I think you are ok. People use to feed live tubifex and many times they carried parasites. I don’t see how that could happen with freeze dried worms. I like to feed beef heart mixture, and flakes. Keep reading on here about food recommendations. The most important thing with discus is lots of clean water, changed often. Welcome to the forum.
    Ron

Registered Member

Thank you for your reply, alron2! I really really hope those 2 cubes did'nt ruin anything:-( I've only had them for a week and have a schedule for waterchanges sunday's, tuesday's and friday's. They (8 that are 5 months old) live In a 100 gallon tank and I change 50 gallon each time and test the water the day before every change to have 100% control of the quality of the water. ( And Im from Norway so sorry If my writing aint 100% correct )

Registered Member

let me get this straight. you're telling me you're freaking out just because you fed your fish something someone said not to? even tho your fish didnt get sick. but scare they will because u fed it to them?!!!!!!

Registered Member

I posted a picture of them eating on a fb group, and then one replied that feeding them freeze dried tubiflex was one of the worst things Discus can eat and that they would get sick really fast and I was "begging for trouble". So naturally I get panic :-/ I've read and heard so many different things about what you can feed with. Some praise the different foods and some would never touch It and its hard to get hold of It all. Beefheart f.ex is the one big thing I always has heard good about but then I come across a whole "pack" that says different.

Registered Member

try not to be to gullible and believe everything people tell you. i am sure your fish will be fine. freeze dried is fine they not gonna get sick. you're are way overreacting

Registered Member

Thats good to hear. As a first time owner of these beautiful creatures I will have a small heartattack for each time I feel somethings wrong

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Linkwi88, you have come to a great place to get consistent information about discus so welcome to the forum. I am guessing your fish will be ok so slow down and breath. I think that biggest problem with Tubiflex worms is not knowing where they came from. They are also called sludge worms and live at the bottom of rivers and ponds. Problem is how clean the water is where the worms are living. I am guessing worms can store junk from the water in their bodies like heavy metals etc and you do not want to feed that to your fish.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Thank you aswell, Second Hand Pat for a calming reply. Yes, after I got that mini heartattack I come to learn that the worms could come from sewage. I just really didnt think that fishfood from big brands was collected that way, It actually sounds crazy that the food they make money of Is just scooped up like that, In worst case. And I also thougt freeze dried would be extra safe but obviously not. But lesson learned and I now feel like Im going to stare at them at any free moment just looking for signs of sickness/changed behavior even though It just causes stress rather than joy for me Im trying to set my mind to think that they just been in my tank for a week and havent even settled in properly. But they all are eating and being active. There are 3 who are "less active" but I just think they are lowest in rang and a little more careful than the rest.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Linkwi88 View Post
    Thank you aswell, Second Hand Pat for a calming reply. Yes, after I got that mini heartattack I come to learn that the worms could come from sewage. I just really didnt think that fishfood from big brands was collected that way, It actually sounds crazy that the food they make money of Is just scooped up like that, In worst case. And I also thougt freeze dried would be extra safe but obviously not. But lesson learned and I now feel like Im going to stare at them at any free moment just looking for signs of sickness/changed behavior even though It just causes stress rather than joy for me Im trying to set my mind to think that they just been in my tank for a week and havent even settled in properly. But they all are eating and being active. There are 3 who are "less active" but I just think they are lowest in rang and a little more careful than the rest.
    If it helps Al, the owner of this place sell freeze dried black worms. The supplier of the worms Mal in Australia raises and processes the worms in a controlled facility so there are no concerns about using them for fish food. For many members here it is a stable for the fish including myself.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening