ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one bothered by this. . .

Default Am I the only one bothered by this. . .

I'm absolutely disgusted by the way these fish are being bred into something that look more and more fake and unnatural all whilst the strain names are becoming more and more exotic and the prices increase.
    Ruby Spider-Face Leopard Snakeskin... Give me an $%&# break!
    Seriously do we need to destroy everything nature created?

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Am I the only one bothered by this. . .

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    ... more and more fake and unnatural ...
    All strains are fake. We keep inbred fish in a glass box.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

But my question is does it have to be that way or can we enjoy them as they are?

It's always been this way with Discus. I think that most of us have just come to accept it as a part of life.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

I remember buying some of my first discus online from he-who-shall-not-be-named with names like Siamese Red Dragon or something similar for a turk. Seems hilarious now.

Appearance is whatever. We have access to everything from wilds to probably 50th+ generation line bred fish.

I dislike silly or misleading names too ("super red" bristlenose is a stretch), but fish have to be called something.

Fish pricing is hit or miss. We're lucky to get some fish as cheaply as we do here in the US, but other countries put us to shame with their fish spending habits.

Real Name
    Brian

The names can get a little crazy at times. When I first got into the hobby before this forum was started, the only name I knew was Wattley. I looked at his web site and saw something called a Red Panda and I thought it was pretty cool looking. There was also a listing for a Blue Panda but there was no photo, but I figured if I can get a blue discus that looks like the red one, that would be awesome, so I ordered sight unseen. What I got was a pale colorless discus that eventually turned white, or more commonly called White Butterfly. I always liked them but where was the blue?? lol...

That being said, I've always liked spotted discus, but these days I'm becoming more a fan of the wilds...

Real Name
    Mark

I also think the names are getting ridiculous and are often mis-leading. Especially to folks getting started in keeping these fish. The reason I started my discus tank after keeping marine tanks for years was my desire to not keep taking from the ocean anymore. Same goes for freshwater animals. For as long as fish collecting has gone on you would think that there would be enough stock in captivity to provide a big enough supply of tank bred fish that look as they do in nature. Line breeding is fine, I would truly like to see a actual green colored discus created this way. But I also love the look of the natural coloration and will eventually add some tank raised examples to my group of 15 in my display. Just my .02
    Besides, my wife renames them anyway!

The names and the prices are a secondary insults to me. For me the big problem is the severe inbreeding and who knows what other manipulations such as steroids, unnatural pigmentation and I'd guess a whole slew of things we don't care to know about.
    I do agee that tank bred is better as to not further in danger the wild population and to perhaps naturally select genes that do better in captivity. But why are so many, and it seems the vast majority accepting and actually seeking out these abominations.
    They wouldn't be the norm if less accepted them.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

The names and the prices are a secondary insults to me. For me the big problem is the severe inbreeding and who knows what other manipulations such as steroids, unnatural pigmentation and I'd guess a whole slew of things we don't care to know about.
    I do agee that tank bred is better as to not further in danger the wild population and to perhaps naturally select genes that do better in captivity. But why are so many, and it seems the vast majority accepting and actually seeking out these abominations.
    They wouldn't be the norm if less accepted them.
    Hey John, if you do not care for the domestic strains do you keep discus at all? Pictures? Everyone is free to like or dislike the current situation with discus or any other domestic animal for that manner.
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 06-02-2019 at 03:40 PM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Of course all are free to do as they please. . . my question was are you offended by the ever escalating severity in which discus are being manipulated from their natural state.

If you ask me what we have done to our best friend with inbreeding them to the point of genetically inferior strains is sad.
    Not the best article but you get the point: https://www.petmd.com/dog/care/evr_d..._complications

Real Name
    Pat

John, the ones I do not care for are the bulldogs. A few years ago the "bulldog" became the rage and suddenly many lines had that bulldog look . This has less prevalent thank goodness.
    Pat

Real Name
    Kevin

Is your main complaint against inbreeding discus or creating different varieties of domestics? I ask because you just posted a pic of a pigeon blood and turq combo with fry in your tank.

@ Pat
    If you do a quick google search you will see that many to most of pure_breed dog strains have a multitude of health issues

@ Kevin
    Please reread as I believe I was clear. If I had a pair of the same strain I would not let them breed in search of the uber version.

Real Name
    Pat

@ Pat
    If you do a quick google search you will see that many to most of pure_breed dog strains have a multitude of health issues
    I was referring to Bulldog discus John.
    Pat

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast