ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Am I the only one bothered by this. . .

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Default Re: Am I the only one bothered by this. . .

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    This is a pic of a fish that crossed my path on this site as an example of what I feel is too far.
    I'm not going to name specific breeds because what people call fish changes daily and by breeder and some breeders seem to be more responsible than others using the same or similar names.
    I love it! Here is the tree you were talking about! Truly a picture can say a thousand words, thanks.

No James... I tell you that I don't like the level of manipulation that I'm starting to see in the hobby and the tree is you ask me if I like bananas and wine.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Beating you up isn't worth my time, John.
    That last comment wasn't meant to be directed at you momma

Registered Member

That's a very nice try... But I'm starting to think that it wasn't taught over and over.... anywhere.

The quick search does not result in studies that were out to prove inbreeding was bad so that's what they found. The studies were out to find the EFFECTS of inbreeding and inbreeding DEPRESSION is what they found.

The two links you provided are a joke
    The first is NOT a study of inbreeding, it's a study of a particular cichlid and whether or not it preferred to mate with an unfamiliar sibling over an unfamiliar non sibling. That particular fish being very social I find the so called suggested results trivial. I suggest you read it slowly as often are words such as " the findings suggest"
    The second is from Asia... Big Surprise. And if you read it, one of the species failed to survive

Care to give it another shot
    Well it's unfortunate that you've turned the discussion in the direction of invective. I don't care if you want to think that fish are the same as dogs. I'm not going to get in a flame war with you.

Real Name
    Mervin

I just love the looks of the angel fish we have today. So many varieties to choose from. Probably came from inbred and linebred fish. Even the domestic discus look nice. Things like a smaller eye in many domestic strains that I've noticed, also. Hybrids like the flowerhorn are nice too, but not my cup of tea. But there is a big market for hybrids. It's a personal thing/choice.

Just as long as they don't start injecting bioluminescence into discus like they have certain tetras and danios and other species then I'm fine. Hell, I even hate that they started doing that at all to any fish. That's just black & white not natural.

I would be fine with anyone who wanted to clone some of you all's brown-based Reds, Ica's, and heckle crosses

not to be all touchy-feely but try to avoid saying anything that in real life might result and being punched in the crotch. I've enjoyed this thread a lot and don't want to see it sour. I love learning from what some of you have already said and still have yet to share. I even like seeing others opinions even if I disagree with their opinions. Not saying I haven't ever lost my bearings on here but I did get Lucky by finding out some of the people I feuded with ended up being some of the best help and mentors after the fact. That said, happy funday Sunday! Happy Father's Day! And hope everyone can enjoy 1 or 6 good frosty cocktails today!
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    not to be all touchy-feely but try to avoid saying anything that in real life might result and being punched in the crotch. I've enjoyed this thread a lot and don't want to see it sour. I love learning from what some of you have already said and still have yet to share. I even like seeing others opinions even if I disagree with their opinions. Not saying I haven't ever lost my bearings on here but I did get Lucky by finding out some of the people I feuded with ended up being some of the best help and mentors after the fact. That said, happy funday Sunday! Happy Father's Day! And hope everyone can enjoy 1 or 6 good frosty cocktails today!
    Ditto!!

I could use a good punch in the crotch to be honest with you :-D

I could use a good punch in the crotch to be honest with you :-D
    LOL... that's the only way I learn sometimes
    -Elliot

Is the ankle biting done now? If you don’t like, don’t do it!! Worry about your own, not what others are doing. This is why I just read these and very seldom post anything!

Is the ankle biting done now????

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

is the ankle biting done now????
    lol
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Kwiege View Post
    Is the ankle biting done now? If you don’t like, don’t do it!! Worry about your own, not what others are doing. This is why I just read these and very seldom post anything!
    Very well said, Kweige. I think of myself more as a pit bull, but in reality all I am is a big fish in a small pond. I keep chickens. With chickens I'd be high in the pecking order. It's like that in all small communities. Get used to it.

That is a lovely pair in your avatar. I'd like to see more pics and hear more about them.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Kwiege View Post
    The same can be said for your comment, though I don't see how this can be categorized as ankle biting If you do not care for what others would like to discuss, you're free to ignore it. The frequency at which you post is welcomed if that is all you have to contribute.
    I know many here enjoy the perpetual " oh look at my fish" followed by "ohh how beautiful, lovely pair, just love the colors" over and over. But I for one think this is a legitimate topic and that's all that matters. Participate or pillow bite... What ever makes you happy.

I think part of the problem is the way I framed the topic... And for that I'll take some responsibility for it going astray
    But others have used generalities to defend a position that I described as being at the beginnings of excess.
    Can breeding or even inbreeding produce positive aesthetic results, yes. But that doesn't legitimize doing it to the point that the animal has an unnatural appearance or has health issues. I don't understand why it's an all or nothing position. And everything I have read supports the practice of inbreeding avoidance. When I ask for some supporting material on different views so that I can better understand , I'm offered smoke and irrelevance. Using that logic, your family would be suitable for you to breed with... After all, a Danio can do it 13 times before the population fails...and it was implied that you do like bananas. And when I call out someone for providing diversionary links I'm accused of turning to the invective and incorrectly quoted as equating fish to dogs.
    But hey... Look at the bright side, you got to use a $5 word... And yes I had to look it up.

Consider the pot stirred.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456