AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need some advise, Chef Paul

Default Re: I need some advise, Chef Paul

I can buy lamb at the store but it's ridiculously expensive. My vet's brother raises Barbados sheep but I'd have to by 1/2 a carcass and I don't even think I have enough room in my little deep freeze to store it. It's a shame. I haven't had a real gyro since I was in the middle east years and years ago.
    Mama Bear

Liz,
    My meatballs and meatloaf recipe is the exact same thing , if you take your meatloaf recipe you can use to make meatballs, cook them and freeze them. I bake mine, but frying is fine. Then when I want to make meatballs and pasta, I pull the bag from the freezer and pitch them in the sauce. You can also use them to make lasagne...I rolls small ones for that. You can also use them in gravy and place on mashed potatoes.. Lastly I shape them into hamburgers and used them to make easy peezey meatball sandwiches on hard rolls. Kind of boring I know, But its easy and stores very very well, and has alot of uses.

One note on the Lasagne....It tends not to freeze well... It dries out.. the pasta will absorb the water from the sauce. If you freeze it be sure to use a more watered down sauce. The store bought frozen ones are acceptible I think because they are flash frozen ..Our freezers are too slow.. You might want to modify the plan on Lasagne.. freeze the fixings and use a store bought no boil lasgna strip...add strips , add frozen stuff and fresh sauce and pop it in the oven... You can make them small enough to have 2 meals...Its what I do here unless its a holiday or guests...then I Make it fresh.

I use the Barilla no boil ones here.. https://thatrecipe.com/blog/2013/05/20/no-boil-lasagna/ but use baby meatballs..not ground meat,

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Thanks for the advice, Al. I like to pack away several meals at once and rotate between 4 or 5 different meals. Do you think I would have the same problem with it drying out in a vacuum sealed bag? If so, I'll be sure to make the sauce thinner.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Thanks for the advice, Al. I like to pack away several meals at once and rotate between 4 or 5 different meals. Do you think I would have the same problem with it drying out in a vacuum sealed bag? If so, I'll be sure to make the sauce thinner.
    It may be better in those Liz, I would possibly make the lasagne not too many layers so it freezes faster.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Good idea, Al. BTW, you really should buy one of these. I love mine and it was cheap! https://www.amazon.com/GERYON-Vacuum...s%2C215&sr=8-6
    Mama Bear

Liz, here are a couple of my own simple & easy, one person type recipes for meals that are likely very familiar to you. You can find numerous variations of recipes for these dishes on the internet - so nothing new here - but I provide them here as a handy reference point and reminder for you of meals that might tickle your taste buds on any given day.

All, or most of the ingredients should be readily available, and relatively inexpensive, and if the recipes make more than enough for one meal at a time, then the leftover(s) can be frozen for thaw & re-heating at another time.

CHILI-GLAZED CHICKEN WINGS WITH TOASTED SESAME SEEDS:

These wings are as good, or better than I've had anywhere. As an appetizer, lunch, or din-din.

Ingredients:

- 10-16 chicken wings, ( outer wing portions with drumettes - & wing tips removed). If you prefer, you may cut each wing into 2 separate pieces.

- Approx. 1 tbspn vegetable oil & some kosher or sea salt and ground pepper to season the wings.

Glaze: (T. is tbspn)

- 2-3 T. of sweet chili sauce

- 2-3 T. of soy sauce

- 1 tspn chili-garlic sauce (sriracha)

- 1 tspn sesame oil

- 1 tspn grated or finely diced fresh ginger

- 1 T. of your favorite BBQ sauce

- Optional additions:

1 tspn. of either, or combo of, hoisin sauce, plum sauce, apricot jam.

- Whisk together all glaze ingredients in a small bowl.

- Set aside 1 T. toasted sesame seeds for garnishing wings after baking.

Place Wings in a bowl & evenly coat them with the oil, & salt & pepper.

Then more or less evenly arrange all the chicken pieces on a suitably-sized tinfoil-coated baking sheet sprayed with veg oil, & bake for 30- 40 minutes @ 350, turning once halfway into the baking time.

(You may alternatively prefer to use a mesh rack placed over the baking sheet on which to arrange the wing pieces, to preclude any potential over-browning of one side or the other of the pieces.)

Remove wings from oven, and generously brush coat each piece all around with the glaze, & return to the oven for baking a further 10-15 minutes.

To finalize, add another brushing of the glaze to the wings to thicken it up, and then turn on the top broiler for just a couple/few minutes until glaze begins to darken/sear the wings a bit.

Remove wings from oven, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds & dig in.

Ok, that's the first recipe - 2 or 3 more to soon follow.

Real Name
    Brian

Here's on of my favorites that grandma used to make for me. I have small ceramic baking dishes with plastic lids and it freezes very well!

Chicken Tetrazzini

1lb pasta of your choice. I use wide egg noodles or angel hair
    4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
    1lb sliced mushrooms
    1 stick butter
    2tbs olive oil
    2tsp salt
    2tsp pepper
    1 large onion chopped
    5 or 6 garlic cloves minced
    ½ cup dry white cooking wine
    1/8tsp nutmeg
    1/3 cup flour
    4 cups milk
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    2 bullion cubes
    1 cup water
    ¾ cup frozen peas
    ¾ cup chopped broccoli
    1 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1 cup mozzarella, asiago or Italian blend cheese

Boil chicken in salted water then shred into larger bite sized pieces.

Add some butter and 2 tbs olive oil to skillet and saute’ mushrooms on medium heat for about 6 minutes. Add onion, garlic and cook until onions are soft. Add white wine and simmer about 2 minutes. Mix in separate bowl with chicken.

Melt 3 tbs butter in pot, add flour and mix with butter. Slowly add milk, cream, bullion, water, nutmeg, salt, pepper and increase to high heat. When it starts to boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add peas and broccoli and simmer an additional 5 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken. Add chicken and mix well.

Melt remaining butter and coat baking dish. Add cooked pasta about 2/3 high. Pour chicken mix over pasta until almost full (I use a fork to poke and loosen the pasta and allow sauce to mix slightly). Mix cheese and pile on top.

If frozen, thaw first.

Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes until dish is bubbly and cheese is browning.
    Last edited by jeep; 06-04-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks so much folks for all the wonderful ideas. I'm printing them all out and putting them in a binder. Keep 'em coming.
    Mama Bear

Your recipe sounds good, Jeep - I will try it.

Here's another chicken recipe, Liz - this one for kebabs of chicken thighs, using your cast iron pan with bottom ridges:

CHICKEN YAKITORI KEBABS:

INGREDIENTS:

- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-1.5" chunks -(you'll get approx. 3-5 chicken pieces from each thigh).

- Approx. 1 T of vegetable oil

-Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper to season

(- 4-6 wooden skewers soaked in water for at least 30 minutes to an hour)

Combine the above in a bowl & mix well to coat chicken pieces - except the skewers of course - LOL

Thread the chicken chunks through their centers unto the skewers. The pieces should touch but not be crammed together.

Refrigerate until ready to grill or as long as 2 or more hours.

The Sauce:

- 1/2 cup chicken stock

- 2 T's of soy sauce

-2 T's of japanese mirin (sweet rice wine) -

(If unavailable, suitable substitutes are : 1/2 tspn of white sugar added to 2 T's of either white wine, vermouth, marsala wine, dry sherry, rice vinegar, sake, or even balsamic vinegar.)

- 1 T of hoisin sauce

- 1 T of fresh lemon juice

- 1 T of light brown sugar

- Freshly ground black pepper

In a small saucepan mix the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil over med./high heat & cook until liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup - approx. 5 minutes, stirring once or twice. Remove from heat.

Place the skewers on the ridges of the well heated cast iron pan & cook for a bit until the meat begins to char a little on the surfaces, turning once or twice & swapping their positions as needed for even cooking.

Then start brush basting the chicken with the sauce (you may not need all of it) until fully cooked - 3 - minutes or more to 'brown/sear' the chicken pieces up well - continually basting with more sauce as you turn the skewers, again to achieve fairly even cooking.

Remove & serve warm with basmati rice, or whatever side you prefer or have on hand.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 06-04-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Reverting back to Al's interesting and useful comments regarding 'mini' type meatballs, etc., and if you're interested, Liz, in my recipe for some real tasty mini hot Italian sausage meatballs, let me know & I'll post it accompanied by a down home-made marinara sauce to serve up with the meatballs, and either spaghetti, penne, or fettuccine pasta whenever you might feel like some Italian soul food besides lasagna.

@ jeep
    That sounds so good that you can serve that for dinner and/or dessert!

Good to know that I'm not the only one having fun seeing these recipes.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12