AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Discus is looking bad!

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Discus is looking bad!

This is sounding positive for you. Keep up the good work. John is correct, keep a close eye out on water quality

Real Name
    Brian

I would also suggest picking up another sponge filter if possible. Sponges are great for bio load, but not so good for solids...

Registered Member

Discus is still looking bad and I’m about to reach my last day of treatment!! I’m considering a salt bath for 5 mins but what dosage do I need for 2 gals of water? Also I hooked up an old penguin 350 with floss on the intake. What should I use for filtration? Lava rock, activated carbon, sponge,what? Furan 2 is on standby but using it as a last resort.

I DONT WANT MY LITTLE DUDE TO DIE!!

I DONT HAVE A QT TANK TO SPARE AND THE REST OF THE FISH STILL HAVE WHITE STUFF ON THEIR FINS

What's up with this? Just the other day you told us that the fish was doing so much better. Now this...What changed?
    Mama Bear

The filter is not cycled... Things are going to get worse.
    Treating sick discus while trying to get a filter cycled is a losing battle
    The more water changes you do to keep the Ammonia down, the less food for the filter to begin cycling.
    You can maybe try the bacteria in a bottle or similar to get it cycled on a fast pace but I have no experience with it or if it works.
    I'm afraid you waited too long to find the problem

Would it help to use amquell with your water changes and amonium sorb in your filter, hopefully Pat will chime in and she will have some ideas

Jeanne

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marie

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Thanks for providing the additional information! This is what I was looking for...

Doing water changes with RODI is not necessary, but large water changes are very important at this time, since it appears you have a cross contamination issue cause by improper QT.

I recommend doing 75% (or more) daily water changes with aged and treated water. Also, add 1 TBS salt per gallon, and replace the salt being removed during the water change and back the heat down to 82. Do this for at least 10 days. I would really like to see your ammonia and nitrate levels. Can you pick up a test kit or take a sample to your LFS and have them test it for you? If you don't see an improvement within the first 2-3 days, I would treat the entire tank with Furan 2.
    What would you treat your R/O water with prior to placing it in the tank?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marie

Why would you bring the heat down to 82 degrees? whats the significance between 82 and 86 or 88 for that matter?
    Thanks!

Real Name
    Tom

Red this is an old thread. Op hasn’t been around since July. Not sure what’s up with the 82 either. Maybe op started with a temp of 82.

But in reading this thread I just want to point out that api test kits never go bad. The expiration date is just so you go out and buy a new one. I bought a new one a year ago. $20 on sale. I put it up against my 03 test kit and they tested the same. Each vial came out the same color. Expiration date is just to get you to spend money . They’re the best kit for the price but they still leave a lot to be desired. Oh and in 2003 nitrate wasn’t even a priority. The api kits didn’t include a test for it.88543BCD-D67F-42A5-BE90-63ED99E937B7.jpg

As to the op problem. For a beginner without reading up on discus. It’s hard to know what a healthy fish looks like. Not recommended but you can buy pet store discus. You just have to get them when they first come in. Than qt them to make sure there healthy. 5 of mine are store bought and as healthy as the others.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234