ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Speaking of wings...

Default Speaking of wings...

Speaking of Chicken wings... do you like them? Like them kind of crunchy on the outside like they get when they are fried? but want to make them in the oven?

Try this.. It really works. take your raw chicken wings, wash them and pat them dry with paper towels. Place in gallon zip lock bag and sprinkle on some baking powder... shake and shake to coat them.( You can use a bowl instead.). remove from bag ( or bowl), bake on a rack and season as you want. They really do come out like they were fried. The baking powder causes some kind of reaction.. I was skeptical but now I would not use any other way. You must use baking powder..not baking Soda.

Theres a bunch of recipes on the web but I use this one and cook them as they are shown.

https://thecookful.com/bake-chicken-wings-crispy/

Al

Ps.. LIZ, I bet they would freeze well.. I never tried because we eat them all up.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Speaking of wings...

Interesting. I love fried and baked wings, but when I bake them, they're usually pretty dried out by the time they get crunchy. I'll try this!!

I too have tried the baking powder approach Al, and you're right, it certainly does crisp up various things nicely.

Which one did you buy, Al? What do you cook in it other than wings? I was looking at this because a friend recently bought one, but I'm not sure that I would use it enough to justify the cost. I also read the reviews and the negative ones convinced me not to go for it. Do you have one, Chef?

I have enough Amazon Visa card points to get it free, but I think that I can live without it. All opinions welcome. https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-TOA...-1-spons&psc=1
    Mama Bear

Liz im just using the old fashioned oven.. no special one like that in your pic. The wings and baking powder are alls you need....then baste on whatever sauce you like.. or use a dry rub and spritz with oil and dip into blue cheese....mmmmmmm
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Good to hear. What I was saving up my Amazon Visa points for was a wonderful gas oven/stove. The oven was convection and the stovetop had a double burner. I decided that I would never save up enough points to buy it.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    The wings and baking powder are alls you need....then baste on whatever sauce you like.. or use a dry rub and spritz with oil and dip into blue cheese....mmmmmmm
    Tony Chachere's is my "drug" of choice on wings

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Which one did you buy, Al? What do you cook in it other than wings? I was looking at this because a friend recently bought one, but I'm not sure that I would use it enough to justify the cost. I also read the reviews and the negative ones convinced me not to go for it. Do you have one, Chef?

I have enough Amazon Visa card points to get it free, but I think that I can live without it. All opinions welcome. https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-TOA...-1-spons&psc=1
    I've been looking at those fryers for a while but have hesitated getting one for the very reason you've mentioned Liz - although I do feel you can cook many different things in them with good results.

As for Al's comments above, I've not used the baking powder approach on the wings recipe that I recently posted for you Liz, but I'm certainly going to try it - I've baked other things using baking powder, like shrimps, but had not tried it on that particular wings recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Tony Chachere's is my "drug" of choice on wings
    Never heard of that one, Jeep - where/how can I find it - just google Tony Cachere's wings recipe ?

Real Name
    Brian

It's in most all American grocery stores. I'm not sure about Canada. It's a Creole seasoning like Zataran's but I like Tonys' a little better.

https://www.tonychachere.com/Original-Creole-Seasoning

It's really good on eggs!

Tony's is a staple of Cajun cooking. I like to use individual spices, but it's good to have Tony's on hand. It's available at any grocery store down south here.
    Mama Bear

Never heard of it here in ct.. can someone take some pics of the label and ingredients?
    Thx
    Al5

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I'll do it tomorrow, Al. You know about spice label. They generally tell you only the most obvious ones, then they say, "other spices".
    Mama Bear

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

We have an oven very similar to that in Liz's picture in our winter casita in Mexico. Propane ovens down there don't produce a dry enough heat and we are often disappointed by the results. Plus, it's so hot, who wants an oven in the house? Our little oven was purchased in Mexico. They skimp on the insulation on appliances sold for domestic use there, so they are hot to the touch on the outside. Therefore, we keep that little guy outside in a tiny second 'outdoor kitchen' of sorts. Residual heat can dry the clothes on the nearby clothes line.

I'll try the baking powder idea on the wings. I still eat very spicy foods. However, as I get older, I can't handle the heavy grease of fried foods.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops