pic of month     Kenny's Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sources of my posted recipes ?

iTrader
    12 (100%)

Default Re: Sources of my posted recipes ?

Chef, I thought I'd make six of these without meat to the point where they are stuffed, put them in a vacuum seal bag and freeze and freeze all but one or two which I would finish right away and eat. With the vacuum sealer I can fit a lot more stuff in the freezer and it keeps longer. I like to stock up of food for when money gets scarce. The last time I went to the tienda they were out of Poblano's. Yesterday I had to go in the other direction to deliver fish. I have to go that direction tomorrow to pick up some parts they had to special order for me. I hope they have some in. I yearn to make them.

The mac and cheese sounds very good, too. Seems to me that I should be able to freeze single portions and warm them up in the oven later. Please tell me if you think this won't work. BTW, the first cheese you mentioned was Velveeta. I thought, "No. This is not what I want in mac and cheese". Then I read on and got to the other cheeses, the Panko bread crumbs and finally the heavy cream and I was drooling for it.

I've got two meals now that will keep me fed in cake business isn't good. I'll take a second hard look at the sweet and sour pork after I make the other two. On first reading I didn't see the point where I could freeze it and finish it later but I might on a second reading.

Good lord, I want to make your lasagna too. Do you think that I could cook it, cut it into portions and freeze them like I want to do with the mac and cheese?

I feel blessed that you so freely share all the wonderful things you have learned to do over the years. Thanks again.
    Mama Bear

iTrader
    1 (100%)

Yes Liz, no problem freezing portions of lasagna or mac & cheese, except that in both cases the thawed & reheated portions will of course likely be a bit dryer than the original version right out of the oven. Certainly doesn't affect the taste though, which may be even better in the case of lasagna. For the Mac & Cheese, sometimes I add a bit of milk or cream when re-heating which kind of returns it to fresh baked consistency.

As for the Velveeta, I figured someone would comment like you did. That's the way I used to feel too - however I found that it adds a nice different cheese flavor to the dish, and it melts easy & well, adding to the creaminess/smoothness of the sauce.

I haven't frozen S. & S. pork, but I don't see why not, except that the pork pieces would likely have softened up & lost their nice crispiness - but flavor should be just fine.

I have no problem posting recipes - in fact I rather enjoy it - keeps me busy when I have nothing else to do - which is fairly often in retirement - LOL

P.S. I'm having my mac & cheese for lunch today - should be ready in about 15 minutes - 2 serving portion, so 1 portion will be a leftover for sometime this week.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 06-16-2019 at 02:46 PM.

iTrader
    1 (100%)

Just finished my m. & c. lunch - don't want to toot my own horn, but it's been a while since I last had it - and I kind of forgot how creamy & delicious it is - you must try it.

And remember folks, make sure that roué sauce is only slightly thickened after the velveeta has melted in it. If it's not somewhat runny, add some more milk.

iTrader
    1 (100%)

OOPS - Sorry......

I just noticed a typo in the mac & cheese recipe - under 'making the roue'
    - see the paragraph where I mention the size of the small block of Velveeta cheese to be melted in the roué - it should read 3/4" thick - NOT 3" thick- -which is far too much velveeta - please take note & amend your recipe if you've printed it.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 06-16-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12