AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sources of my posted recipes ?

Default Re: Sources of my posted recipes ?

Chef, I thought I'd make six of these without meat to the point where they are stuffed, put them in a vacuum seal bag and freeze and freeze all but one or two which I would finish right away and eat. With the vacuum sealer I can fit a lot more stuff in the freezer and it keeps longer. I like to stock up of food for when money gets scarce. The last time I went to the tienda they were out of Poblano's. Yesterday I had to go in the other direction to deliver fish. I have to go that direction tomorrow to pick up some parts they had to special order for me. I hope they have some in. I yearn to make them.

The mac and cheese sounds very good, too. Seems to me that I should be able to freeze single portions and warm them up in the oven later. Please tell me if you think this won't work. BTW, the first cheese you mentioned was Velveeta. I thought, "No. This is not what I want in mac and cheese". Then I read on and got to the other cheeses, the Panko bread crumbs and finally the heavy cream and I was drooling for it.

I've got two meals now that will keep me fed in cake business isn't good. I'll take a second hard look at the sweet and sour pork after I make the other two. On first reading I didn't see the point where I could freeze it and finish it later but I might on a second reading.

Good lord, I want to make your lasagna too. Do you think that I could cook it, cut it into portions and freeze them like I want to do with the mac and cheese?

I feel blessed that you so freely share all the wonderful things you have learned to do over the years. Thanks again.
    Mama Bear

Yes Liz, no problem freezing portions of lasagna or mac & cheese, except that in both cases the thawed & reheated portions will of course likely be a bit dryer than the original version right out of the oven. Certainly doesn't affect the taste though, which may be even better in the case of lasagna. For the Mac & Cheese, sometimes I add a bit of milk or cream when re-heating which kind of returns it to fresh baked consistency.

As for the Velveeta, I figured someone would comment like you did. That's the way I used to feel too - however I found that it adds a nice different cheese flavor to the dish, and it melts easy & well, adding to the creaminess/smoothness of the sauce.

I haven't frozen S. & S. pork, but I don't see why not, except that the pork pieces would likely have softened up & lost their nice crispiness - but flavor should be just fine.

I have no problem posting recipes - in fact I rather enjoy it - keeps me busy when I have nothing else to do - which is fairly often in retirement - LOL

P.S. I'm having my mac & cheese for lunch today - should be ready in about 15 minutes - 2 serving portion, so 1 portion will be a leftover for sometime this week.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 06-16-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Just finished my m. & c. lunch - don't want to toot my own horn, but it's been a while since I last had it - and I kind of forgot how creamy & delicious it is - you must try it.

And remember folks, make sure that roué sauce is only slightly thickened after the velveeta has melted in it. If it's not somewhat runny, add some more milk.

OOPS - Sorry......

I just noticed a typo in the mac & cheese recipe - under 'making the roue'
    - see the paragraph where I mention the size of the small block of Velveeta cheese to be melted in the roué - it should read 3/4" thick - NOT 3" thick- -which is far too much velveeta - please take note & amend your recipe if you've printed it.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 06-16-2019 at 03:42 PM.

I just ate my first Poblano pepper. I used sharp cheddar and Gruyere. The only meat I used was the bacon. The flavor of the filling was to die for. The sauce was wonderful. The batter was perfect. I have 5 more waiting in the freezer for more meals. Thank you so much Chef.
    Mama Bear

Chef, the thing about your recipes is that the parts themselves are good but something magic happens when the dish is all together. I've always had good taste in food but I can't believe that I've been able to cook your stuff and it comes out right! I've made these chilies, your famous chicken, and your stuffed grape leaves now. I'm full right now but as soon as I get a little hungry I'll decide which one I will make next.
    Mama Bear

You've made my day, Liz ! Many thanks for the kudos - I truly hope it encourages others to try the recipes too.

I'm very pleased you find it easy enough to follow the recipes and that they turn out right for you.

I remind y'all that when I normally follow a recipe for the first time, I usually end up finding a way to alter the mixtures, add, or subtract ingredients, change the prep or finishing technique in some way or another in an effort to make the dish tastier/more to my liking.

So most of the recipes I give you are the end result of these testings - some after trying several variations until I feel I've got it right/to my liking. Those are the recipes of mine that you get in these threads.

I decided on making the mac and cheese next. I'll be going to town this afternoon and I'll buy the stuff that I don't already have and make it tomorrow. I have several ramekins. I see no reason I couldn't make it in those, do you?
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    I have no problem posting recipes - in fact I rather enjoy it - keeps me busy when I have nothing else to do - which is fairly often in retirement - LOL
    I think that's the reason that you and I are almost the only ones posting in this forum. Spending time cooking or writing detailed recipes when you have to go off to work every day is very difficult. On the weekends folks have to catch up on other stuff that was neglected during the week. I miss not having the money to take myself and my New Yorker magazine out to eat, but there's a sense of accomplishment making something as good or better myself.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    I think that's the reason that you and I are almost the only ones posting in this forum. Spending time cooking or writing detailed recipes when you have to go off to work every day is very difficult. On the weekends folks have to catch up on other stuff that was neglected during the week. I miss not having the money to take myself and my New Yorker magazine out to eat, but there's a sense of accomplishment making something as good or better myself.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 06-24-2019 at 01:14 PM. Reason: duplicate
    Mama Bear

Ramekins will be great Liz - I use them myself when I do Mac & cheese just for myself for only one meal - which I did yesterday for lunch.

I do find however, that the creaminess of the dish is somewhat less than when you do a larger portion of m. & c. - no doubt due to being able to do a better job with the roué sauce when putting together a larger quantity.

Chef, I would have posted sooner but my internet was down for a couple of days. I made 6 ramekins of your mac and cheese, froze 5 and ate one. OMG it was so rich that I had to eat vegetarian for the next two days! That mac and cheese is a heart attack in a ramekin. I should have expected it with all that cheese, butter and cream. I won't be hungry for it for a while because it's so dang rich, but it was absolutely delicious. You are indeed an artist. I think I'll have veggies only again tonight. My neighbor brought me some home grown tomatoes, baby summer squash, and new potatoes.

I have already bought the ingredients for your sweet and sour pork. I'll be making it tomorrow. Thanks again. I have never made such good food in my entire life.
    Mama Bear

Linda constantly tells me that my tastes in food are 'rich', but I believe foods are meant to be as flavorful as you can make them !
    Ask Bobby Flay who feels the same way - that's how he wins over the judges 4 out of 5 times competing against chefs who try to beat him making the same dish - he doesn't win with traditionalism, different ingredients, color & innovation, or great presentation - nor by doing unique dishes- he does it mainly with flavor - better flavor does it almost every time !

I got my love for that kind of thinking by visiting France several times, once for a month - because as you know,
    the French make the tastiest and most dishes that are to die for !

You're absolutely correct, Chef. But I can't eat like that every day. My body says no. My stomach doesn't want more fat. But once a week I want to swim in fatty food. Like you inferred, the flavor is in the fat.

Ever since my nephew made his famous roast potatoes to go with my corned beef and roasted cabbage I have yearned for two ovens. My corned beef was cooking at 250 his taters called for 350 for 45 or 50 minutes. Both things would have suffered at the other's temp. I decided to eat the corned beef warm with good German mustard so he could do his taters correctly. Corned beef is fine just warm or even cold so in this situation it worked out.

Today I'm having the taters, and baby squash with good Parmesan. The taters will suffer this time because the squash asks for 450.

Do you have 2 ovens? I can't afford 2 and the carpentry to accommodate them so I'm bidding on this thing. I'll try the air fryer part because a friend says that she can't tell the difference between what she gets from it and fried. I have my doubts but I won't know until I try it myself. I want it most for the oven part. I need to get it at a bargain price so please keep your fingers crossed for me. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cuisinart-T...UAAOSw5uVc9o3F
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 06-28-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    Mama Bear

Yes, we have 2 ovens, and we need to use them both more often than I thought we would.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast