ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planning for my First Planted Tank

Default Re: Planning for my First Planted Tank

No need for root tabs, Pat. Can't hurt though. T5 great for plants but I use LED now (white with some red mixture) since I use low light plants. Especially anubias, java fern, crypts, and lillies & swords still do fine as well. I used sand from local beach, DW from local lakes (you smart enough to know what DW not to use... but still treat wood!). Plant and let it go. Most will rebound if they look like they're going to Crap early on. Just let it be And they'll surprise you.
    -Elliot

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by lpsouth1978 View Post
    AI Prime's are used widely in the reefing community, the freshwater version is a pretty new addition. I LOVED them over my 40 gallon reef! Each light is rated to cover 18"x18", though for reefs most people recommend 1 per 12" of length. You could probably use 2 if you keep them 12"+ above the tank, 3 would give you more even coverage though.
    Hi Lyle, the only issue I have with these are at $200 (or so) a pop I would need three of them plus the mounts so around $650. Plus they seem like an overkill for a low tech planted tank. Also since this is an experiment for me I would like to keep my lighting budget around $200 for now. I will keep these in mind since you never know where a hobby might take you.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Considering using any type of driftwood, Pat ?
    If so, go for Anubias Nana attached to the wood - always looks aquatically natural and very pleasing. Slow-growing but takes little care & handles 82 F just fine.
    So do any type of Echinodorous - you can get several varieties of 'mini-growth' types rather than the large 'amazon sword' which could 'take over' a 50 gal tank.

Vals or Sags should look good if you like them, & I think you'd like Crypts - any types. I love Red Tiger Lotus (Nymphaea) for added color & different shape - just keep it regularly trimmed to prevent stems from trying to reach for the surface, and so to encourage maintenance of low, but wider growth.

Blyxa Japonica should do well, and I really like Hygrophilas - they take little care, grow quickly & remain colorful continuously thoughout. Ludwigias are usually good at the higher temp too.

You won't need to give the tank the heavy-duty cleansing attention that you normally would for discus, but when planting, focus particularly on plants being placed in small clusters or 'batches', to get the most benefit from nearby placed root tab ferts,
    while at the same time - arranging your plantings far enough away from both sides and the back of the tank, to enable you to best access around the plants for vacuuming to keep debris & wastes to a minimum, and produce a cleaner, better-looking sand substrate & plantings.
    Concentrate your plantings mainly on the rear area of the tank, leaving a good amount of free-swimming space for the fish - this will also tend to encourage them to hang out more in front of the plants where you can openly see them most of the time.
    Small stuff which you've probably already thought of, but thought I'd remind. Hope it helps a bit.
    My .02
    Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    P.S.
    If you're not already a member, and feel you can spend some time 'lurking' a bit there, suggest you consider joining the forum, plantedtank.net
    I'm sure you would get some real good info on plants & their care, lighting, low or high tech planted set-ups, etc., and you may even find some great material on S.A. biotoping, and the fish species that fit therein.
    Thanks for the bangup intro on the plantedtank forum Paul. You rock on that one. I will definitely be using DW but considering one of the mosses for that (more on that later). Also thank you for all the other hints. I will be reviewing this thread as I get closer to setting this up. I currently have altum angels in the 50 as a QT so have time for researching and planning.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Doogy262 View Post
    TPT The planted tank is a really great free forum also, been a member for 6 years,they cover every aspect from lighting to ferts...
    Thank Doogy, I am already signed over there.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I learned everything that I know from Adam.
    Hi Liz, not surprised. Adam is a great resource
    Pat

Finnex makes some excellent lights for plants. Chicago Discus sells them. I have 4. Mine are more for bringing out the color of the fish, but if the plant ones do as good a job as my fish ones, you will love them.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by gators111 View Post
    Some simple plants that I've got are Wisteria, Water Sprite, and Banana Plants that I let the lily pads form on top of the water.
    Thank you Gators for the recommendations.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    Pat,
    I have an anubias growing on my driftwood stump in the 75 gallon tank. It handles 83 degrees just fine. Anubias get their nutrients from the water column (as do some other plants... especially your floating plants) so using Flourish Excell as fertilizer for them works well. Swords and Java Fern get their nutrients from the soil, and they benefit from Root Tabs.

You can easily make your own root tabs by buying empty gel caps at the pharmacy and filling with Osmocote granules (available at most nurseries, Home Depot, and other fine places).

For lighting I like the Fluval LED lights for plants.
    Thank you Dave, great advice on the DIY root tabs.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    No need for root tabs, Pat. Can't hurt though. T5 great for plants but I use LED now (white with some red mixture) since I use low light plants. Especially anubias, java fern, crypts, and lillies & swords still do fine as well. I used sand from local beach, DW from local lakes (you smart enough to know what DW not to use... but still treat wood!). Plant and let it go. Most will rebound if they look like they're going to Crap early on. Just let it be And they'll surprise you.
    Hi Elliot, I am definitely going the LED route on the lighting, most likely PFS for subsrate and I have plenty of wood on my front porch. Thanks for the plant recommendation. I will focus on that once I firm up the lighting and substrate.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Finnex makes some excellent lights for plants. Chicago Discus sells them. I have 4. Mine are more for bringing out the color of the fish, but if the plant ones do as good a job as my fish ones, you will love them.
    Hi Liz, Finnex is definitely a consideration and had no idea Chicago Discus sells them. Good to know
    Pat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12