AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New pair breeding in community tank help needed

Registered Member

Default New pair breeding in community tank help needed

So like the title says,
    I have a newly formed pair that now have laid eggs for the 2nd time in my community tank. I want to raise the fry! what would be the best thing to do, should I move the parents and the eggs to another tank?

I just ordered a rodi system itll be here in about 5 days. I have a 40 gallon breeder and a 20 gallon tall. The 20 gallon I currently have painted white and I'm getting it ready for the dicus just waiting on the rodi system to get here.

Currently I'm just using straight tape water with 66ppm. Since the tank has cycled I dont really check the parameters besides the hardness of the water, I'm also doing about 20% water change every 3 days cold water. 90 gallon tank.

Also what are the babys of a orange/white pigeon blood Male mixed with a blue diamond female! I'm so excited to see the results!
    Last edited by Kingcolt; 06-08-2019 at 02:54 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re: New pair breeding in community tank help needed

Excited for you!! Please post pics after transfer into new home. GOOD LUCK!!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Colt, do not move the parents until they have wigglers in the main tank. They could go thru a lot of spawns before getting it right and defending the spawn from other discus helps to strengthen the pair bond. The not so good news is your pair is one is a PB and the other a non-PB. This pairing generally produces peppered fry. With the effort it takes to raise fry you might want to do some research to see if it something you want to do and is worth the effort.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I love what Pat said. Very good feedback & guidance for you, Colt. She's totally right about results of those 2 strains but if still curious then go for it. If you have another pair form soon that are either both PB or both non PB then switch out since it'll yield better looking fry and since it takes ongoing effort then might as well.
    -Elliot

Registered Member

I do have another pair I'm not sure of their strian type tho I'll post pictures of both pairs. My other pair hasnt laid eggs in a long time though.

I definitely want to start raising discus I've been slowing buying all the stuff to dona full breeding set up and grow out.

I've notice that my new pair are not eating the eggs that are turning white yet? Does it take them awhile to figure this part out?

Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 06-08-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Don't worry, they'll clear out any eggs that aren't fertile... Sometimes they wait until close to free swimming to do so.

Registered Member

I noticed on the last batch some of the eggs got fuzzy after awhile will this be bad for the the eggs that are good?

If their are good eggs in the batch the fuzz won't bother them.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Should i just focus on breeding the blue pair? I'm not sure what strain they are, but they are a proven pair.

How ever they havent laid eggs in some time, and seem depressed when I put them in their own tank.
    Last edited by Kingcolt; 06-09-2019 at 12:28 AM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Kingcolt View Post
    Should i just focus on breeding the blue pair? I'm not sure what strain they are, but they are a proven pair.

How ever they havent laid eggs in some time, and seem depressed when I put them in their own tank.
    Colt, your blue pair are look to be red turquoise. I would suggest working with this pair if you can get them back on cycle.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I agree with Pat. But if the fish were mine, I'd clean them up once I put them in the love nest. I do that now because I had a problem with hex in one batch of fry after they had been doing well for 2 weeks. I didn't do a prophylactic treatment on the parents because they showed no symptoms of parasites. I'd give them a treatment for flukes, a treatment for worms, and finally a treatment for hex.

I generally think that it's a bad thing to treat Discus when they are asymptomatic but with a pair, especially a pair that has lost the "love" I think it's a good idea.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I'm looking through the pet store should I get something like melafix or pimafix? I'm not seeing anything specific to what you are mentioning

So the pet store guy recommends maracyn two it's a multi purpose cure that he says will treat all the things you are mentioning.
    Last edited by Kingcolt; 06-09-2019 at 01:52 PM.

levalsol according to directions for worms. I use PP for flukes but since you've never used it quick cure will work just as well. Use it according to label directions as well. 100% metronidazole dosed at 500 mg per 10 gallons daily for 12 days. The label is wrong on metro. Do a large WC every day and re-dose the full dose every day. Getting rid of hex is a real pain.

I always buy the meds I need from Jehmco. What Jehmco doesn't have Angels Plus usually does.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thank you liz for the tips,
    so should I treat my community tank as well? Or just the pair I'm trying to breed?

I'd not do the community tank if you see no problems there. Besides, these treatments should be done in a BB tank to be most effective.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast