AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Something New

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Something New

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    These are so nice Pat. I always wanted to put some Altums in with some discus in a really large tank.
    Ricardo, long time no see. Hope you are well and thank you. These guys are about half grown and for now they are in their own dedicated tank. Not sure if I will mix with discus later or not.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Ricardo, long time no see. Hope you are well and thank you. These guys are about half grown and for now they are in their own dedicated tank. Not sure if I will mix with discus later or not.
    Pat
    Yeah, long time. Work has finally slowed down since January! Rough year so far at work lol. Its great to have a little down time and catch up with my discus people

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Those are pretty, I gotta get me some

Jeanne

Real Name
    JACK AGLIATA

Filip, read Ryan's post for a little history on these guys and Ryan is right, they are nowhere near grown. Guessing about halfway grown. When I tried to find out a bit about them I found what Ryan posted above. I found nothing about them on YouTube so guessing they are not available often.

Thanks Ryan for the information.

Pat
    Any idea where I could get some larger altums than those delicate 3 inchers?
    JACK

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by KIAWAHKID View Post
    Any idea where I could get some larger altums than those delicate 3 inchers?
    JACK
    Are you wanting adults Jack? You could try Wattley in South Fla. Not sure what he currently has.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Are you wanting adults Jack? You could try Wattley in South Fla. Not sure what he currently has.
    Pat
    Just came from his store and he has some that are atleast 6”s.

Do you still have these? I just saw them on Wetspots availability list and thinking about getting a few to go with the 2 ( Not Vichada )I already have. Do you have any recent pictures or a video of them?

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Discluv View Post
    Do you still have these? I just saw them on Wetspots availability list and thinking about getting a few to go with the 2 ( Not Vichada )I already have. Do you have any recent pictures or a video of them?
    I got 5 of the Vichadas from WetSpot about a month ago [maybe more I would have to look back and see].
    All are still well but I added the directly in with my Dantums so they would fell comfy and to break up the hierarchy .
    Funny in a 65g tank with aprox. 20 other dantums they hang with the crowd well but sty in a group of themselves still ..
    2 break off from the group every no and then ..

Looks like they arrived about a month ago or so .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Wow! They are beautiful. Already pretty large ones aren't they?

Love them!
    Thanks for the video Tom.

Real Name
    Tom

They were different sizes ..But I actually liked that as often with young cichlids males are larger so maybe there is a pair in there .
    I think the coolest part is how close the silver Dantums look like the Altums ! Up close it is easy to tell who is who by color, striping and shape but from the distance they look similar IMO . There shape is too cool to me ..
    Best part for me is I didn't get them from WetSpot my LFS got them from their commercial side 'cichlid exchange' ..
    When I bring fish home from the LFS I get them on store credit from rams ..My LFS owner Eddie takes good care of me and has Dealt with Steve [owner of WS/CE] for years now !
    He is helping me check off my bucket list of top notch fish pretty quickly !
    WetSpot is a good trusted source for fish IMO.
    I got Leopoldis also late last summer ..You'd never know I really don't like angels at all but hard to resist the wilds or the dantums..
    WetSpot offers fish not everyone can ..
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    I got 5 of the Vichadas from WetSpot about a month ago [maybe more I would have to look back and see].
    All are still well but I added the directly in with my Dantums so they would fell comfy and to break up the hierarchy .
    Funny in a 65g tank with aprox. 20 other dantums they hang with the crowd well but sty in a group of themselves still ..
    2 break off from the group every no and then ..

Looks like they arrived about a month ago or so .
    Yes, they remind me of Darth Vader's airplane.

They do look very close in shape!
    Both of them are gorgeous fish.
    I buy 90% of my fish at Wetspot. The other 10 is ( was) Tangled Up in Cichlids, AquaticClarity, and specialty fish breeders.
    You are certainly full-filling your bucket list at a great pace. Your whole set-up- fish room and fish- is an amazing operation.

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Pat, Ryan and Tom

Thanks for sharing fotos, info and observations about this clear water source Altum. Overall the Rio Vichada is described as a Black Water River... are these Altums from higher up in the river, near it's source, where the water might be clearer?
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post
    Pat, Ryan and Tom

Thanks for sharing fotos, info and observations about this clear water source Altum. Overall the Rio Vichada is described as a Black Water River... are these Altums from higher up in the river, near it's source, where the water might be clearer?
    I honestly never researched them ! I offer them water lower in TDS then my tap but other then that I do nothing special .If I have gotten lucky keeping them alive I would credit my luck to placing them with my other angels .Angels are not a peaceful fish at all IMO .So I thought the day I brought them home I should place them with my Dantums to break up the hierarchy and make feel comfortable with a large group.
    It seems according many articles that my rams and angels are best kept in pairs when in aquaria and for the most part I agree. BUT when you can overstock and get them into a small herd like they would be in the wild I think things work better. I do think if the 5 Altums had been placed in a tank by them selves there would have been some loss by now .It is their nature to not be nice to each other . Or maybe they would not have eaten so vigorously as with the other 20 ?
    As for black water I think low TDS and low lights can be a reasonable substitute especially if you can not make black water consistently the same for water changes . I have made black water consistently before using liquid humic acid but never saw any reward for my efforts so discontinued . The humic acid is the way to go IMO for those who want black water and high quality parameters .
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Pat, how about an update on these.
    Thanks
    Ron

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123