AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Seachem Prime

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

Default Seachem Prime

Does Seachem Prime affect the way my API ammonia, nitrite, nitrate test kits work? I'm double dosing prime and getting some unexpected readings. Just curious if prime could alter the readings of the test kits.

Thanks

Default Re: Seachem Prime

I think that it can affect 1 solution Ammonia tests but not the 2 solution method from API
    I don't recall it having an affect on the other tests

Real Name
    Mervin

Registered Member

From what I've read, Prime can turn some of the ammonia to ammonium and that can show up as elevated ammonia levels in your tank. It also depends on your ph too. If your tank is under 6.0 ish, you should already have plenty of ammonium. So if you are double dosing, you are creating ammonium, which is about as toxic to fish as nitrates. Also, very good for plants.
    Last edited by gators111; 06-11-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

My understanding is that the complexed hydrosulfite salts of Prime are similar to either this: https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog...g=en&region=US or this: https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog...g=en&region=US ingredients such as these are capable of both reducing chlorine in addition to reacting with ammonia to form a non-toxic adduct.

The API ammonia test contains bleach which is an oxidizing agent while the hydrosulfite salts of prime are reducing agents. This could make the reading seem lower.

How do the levels differ from prime treated vs untreated water?

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by guggas View Post
    Does Seachem Prime affect the way my API ammonia, nitrite, nitrate test kits work? I'm double dosing prime and getting some unexpected readings. Just curious if prime could alter the readings of the test kits.

Thanks
    yes. wait til tomorrow then check it after the water has time to filter though the bacteria to convert the ammonia. Prime in itself does not remove anything, just makes things non toxic.