ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Water TDS

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

Default Water TDS

Hello,

This is my first post here on the forum. I was doing some research on water quality for raising discus, and I came across the post concerning TDS and growth below. I am planning on purchasing 3-4” captive bred discus and growing them out. I have no plans on breeding. After aerating tap water over night, my readings are:

Ph 7.4
    Kh 2.5
    Gh 0
    TDS 62

My question is do I need to be adding any thing to raise tds? I have read about adding Replenish. Or maybe adding crushed coral to the filter?

Look forward to hanging out here on the forum. Thanks!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Water TDS

Quote Originally Posted by BentNickel View Post
    Hello,

This is my first post here on the forum. I was doing some research on water quality for raising discus, and I came across the post concerning TDS and growth below. I am planning on purchasing 3-4” captive bred discus and growing them out. I have no plans on breeding. After aerating tap water over night, my readings are:

Ph 7.4
    Kh 2.5
    Gh 0
    TDS 62

My question is do I need to be adding any thing to raise tds? I have read about adding Replenish. Or maybe adding crushed coral to the filter?

Look forward to hanging out here on the forum. Thanks!
    Hi Jay and welcome to Simply, to answer your question need to know your water change schedule and size of the tank? I would suggest doing some research here prior to getting your discus. I also would suggest getting a group of at least six discus. They are a shoaling fish and do much better in groups.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

Hi Pat,

I have a 60g tank and plan on doing 80-90% water changes daily. I am going to purchase 6 discus most likely from one of the board sponsored breeders. I have a lot of experience in the saltwater world, but we recently moved and I decided to try something new in this house. I have enough left over equipment from saltwater that should make water changes fairly easy.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by BentNickel View Post
    Hi Pat,

I have a 60g tank and plan on doing 80-90% water changes daily. I am going to purchase 6 discus most likely from one of the board sponsored breeders. I have a lot of experience in the saltwater world, but we recently moved and I decided to try something new in this house. I have enough left over equipment from saltwater that should make water changes fairly easy.
    If you can manage to do WC of 80-90% daily with matching PH and temp. Discus keeping will be a piece of cake for you Enjoy this hobby.