ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wearable mosquito repellents

Default Wearable mosquito repellents

Do any of y'all have experience with these? Please tell me what kind you tried and your experience with it.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jon

Default Re: Wearable mosquito repellents

Not sure if anything works 100%. Last year in WI, mosquitos were insane for about a month. No amount of Deet would hold them back. I have had some success against them with a therma cell. I use them while in the woods bow hunting. They seem to work if you are stationary and not a lot of wind.

It sounds like an excellent product but like you said, only if you are in one place. I'm hoping that there's something that works well when I'm out in the yard working. Thanks, though.
    Mama Bear

I'm getting torn up today my mosquitos. One of the Hemp lotion types works good but not great
    -Elliot

Avon's "Skin so Soft"
    http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

Thanks Mugs but I'm looking more for a wearable device than to slather on me. Besides, I abhor the smell of Skin so Soft.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

There are those clip on battery operated repellents but I haven't tried them yet
    Cliff

That was kinda what I was thinking of. I guess I'll try one out for you.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Thanks Mugs but I'm looking more for a wearable device than to slather on me. Besides, I abhor the smell of Skin so Soft.
    ...LOL...but it works !

..we've had the battery operated one's too.....not bad....
    http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

The only problem I have with Deet is that it's oily and attracts dirt. The moment I do anything outside I feel like I need a bath.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Try some vitamin B2 too.

Cliff

Real Name
    Willie

Liz;

What you need is a spray containing Permethrin. You spray it on your clothing and it'll repel critters for about six weeks. I used it last year when I had to tramp around the jungles of Indonesia and Malaysia. I sprayed my golf shirts, my hat, the netting around my hat, my jeans and my socks. It didn't stain anything and it worked fine for me. It's the standard repellent for the US Army. There are multiple brands available in WalMart, Target and Amazon. If the bugs are really fierce, you can buy netting for your hat from the same places for ~$9.

If you're concerned, permethrin is a synthetic pyrethroid, which is a natural insecticide found in chrysanthemum flowers. It kills bugs but has no impact on mammals. Pyrethrin breaks down in 1 - 2 days. The synthetic version lasts a long time, including multiple cycles of laundering.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Willie, the only store I went to today was the feed store. I picked up some fly wipe for the horse. Since it's made of permethrin and a bit of pyrethrin I sprayed it on myself. I sure hope it works better on the horse than it did on me. Just now, I gave myself a spray of Adams flea spray which used to be pyrethrin. It how has chemicals that I don't know what they are. I don't care. I'm 68 years old how much can bad can chemicals hurt me at my age?

Anyway, I'll see how it works. It's dusk and I like to sit outside in the cool of the evening and watch the pastures to see how many deer come out of the woods.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Bill G.

Also......don’t wear their favorite colors.......blue, purple, white and red......wear earthy tones....tan, brown, green. Use non scented deodorant and soap/shampoo and refrain from eating spicy foods prior to going out. I’m an amateur entomologist of over fifty years who goes out late at night and also goes musky fishing. The difference in attraction abiding by these few things will make a big difference....trust me.

Liz I can tell you I come across as opionated, and I apologize for that but what I am reading here that you are doing wth this chemical I would not advise you to put it directly on your skin and let me explain why, I worked in a greenhouse for over 10 years and applied pesticides you had to possess a pesticide applicators license, which required taking a class, one thing we were taught was that if it's on you it's in you,I wore protective clothing, and a repertory in the application of all pesticides, now the chemical your using is relatively low as far as toxicity goes I believe it wears a cautions label some of these chemicals as you are using them can remain active for up to 96hr. NOW you may not be to concerned about yourself but remember your putting your hands in your fish tanks and potentially poisoning them, this is just something to think about.

Jeanne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast