ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this behavior normal? Swimming "flat" and swimming through tight spaces.

Default Is this behavior normal? Swimming "flat" and swimming through tight spaces.

So I've been keeping discus for a couple of months now. And I thought I had things kinda sorted out, until 2 of my fish died recently - and now I feel like I can't be sure about anything.

Most of my fish (only the babies don't do it) do this thing when they swim normally, then lay flat on the bottom of the tank (I have it BB) for a second then get up and continue normal swimming. They do it most often near the front wall of the aquarium so I always assumed they were just being playful. But now I got some new fish in the QT tank and they do the same thing, straight from the breeder.
    Is this a sign of a disease or is this normal discus behavior?

What I also noticed is that all (including the babies) of my fish seem to enjoy swimming through tight spaces, like between a fake plant and an aquarium wall for example, or between an air pipe and the wall. But now I wonder - might they be scratching that way? They all seem to enjoy to swim through the air bubbles from the air pomp as well.
    Last edited by Lynx; 06-26-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Default Re: Is this behavior normal? Swimming "flat" and swimming through tight spaces.

Here is a movie:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4CE...ature=youtu.be

Weird behavior can be observed at 1:46

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Is this behavior normal? Swimming "flat" and swimming through tight spaces.

Real Name
    Mark

Is the bottom of the tank opaque? If not they may just be looking at what is below or possibly the reflection. Mine like to lay on their sides at the surface and look up to see if food is coming.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lyle

Those Discus look to be in pretty good shape. Is that your QT tank or the main tank? It seems to be VERY small for the three fish in it, let alone if you had 2 addition before they died.

Hi, thank you all for your replies.

This tank is a quarantine tank, it's 10 gallons, and I only use it for treating fish with expensive meds (small volume of the QT tank allows me to use a lot less of a substance). Soon they will get moved to 30 gallon QT tank. My main tank is 66 gallons / 250 liters.

So it's safe to assume they are just being playful indeed? That's a great news.
    Last edited by Lynx; 06-27-2019 at 02:06 AM.

Real Name
    Frank

I think that it is the smallness of the tank combined with the ornaments. It’s not abnormal behavior in my opinion but it’s pretty cramped.

Real Name
    Mervin

Go with post #4.Reflection from the bottom. It's normal.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Lynx, is this is cycled tank. It really is too small for even one discus. You mention losing one discus? What happened?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

@fljones3
    @Second Hand Pat

As I said above, this tank is a quarantine which I only use with expensive meds.

Here is what my main tank looks like:

I will be moving these fish from this small tank to a 3 times larger QT tomorrow.

Here is the story about 2 of my fish dying recently:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...sing-2-of-them

@bluelagoon
    Thank you for your answer.
    Last edited by Lynx; 06-27-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Real Name
    Mervin

The tank looks empty. If you're not feeding it, the bacteria will dry and the cycle starts all over. Just thought I'd mention that. In most cases larger WC's need to be aged no matter the PH swing.

Thank you for all the advice Bluelagoon. But to be honest I don't understand why it is important to age water when the pH in my tank and in my straight from the tap water is exactly the same. Water aging is not an easy thing to do so I mostly just use Seachem Safe during my water changes.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lyle

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    ... Water aging is not an easy thing to do...
    Huh?

Aging water is about the easiest thing you can do. Put water in a bucket, brute, or other container, add a power head or air stone, and let it sit for a day. I struggle to see the difficulty in it. I understand if you do not feel aging your water is necessary, but to say that it "is not an easy thing to do" is a bit much.

I say it's not easy because I don't live in a house. I live in a flat and don't have extra space to keep the water during its aging process.

Real Name
    Mervin

I live in an apartment too. The reason most folks age water for discus is because discus require large WC's. When you get to about 40-50% WC, the chemistry of the water is quite different from your tank water. Aging brings things to an equilibrium,especially the gases. 25- 30% from the tap in most areas will be safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast