ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Metro and water changes....?

Registered Member

Default Metro and water changes....?

I am treating for white poop and not eating with metro I picked up from Jehmco. I have read that once every 24 hours or once every 8 hours is the correct timing., with water changes in between. I have also read that metro is inactive after 8 hours. I do understand water changes while fish are sick is a good practice, but how does that correlate to the metro treatment? I run a continuous drip at around 40g into a 210 barebottom and large sump system normally. I have been dosing at night [once a day] and then resuming the drip/40 watt uv... Rinse wash repeat.

I am not having a great amount of luck so far. I have the temp up also at 93 degrees for the 5th day now. I might try upping the dose from 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per 20 gallons.

Any guidance to help my poor starvation protest would be appreciated.

Default Re: Metro and water changes....?

The correct dose is 500 mg per 10 gallons. From what I understand what you are doing now should work if you are dosing correctly. It's not unusual not to see results until the end of the treatment.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Metro is easy on discus and I usually double dose the what's on the label. You may not see positive results until days after you complete the treatment. Even then, it's not instant. Hopefully their appetites and disposition will gradually return to normal within a week or so after...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    The correct dose is 500 mg per 10 gallons. From what I understand what you are doing now should work if you are dosing correctly. It's not unusual not to see results until the end of the treatment.
    Significantly higher than I am currently dosing. So 500mg per 10 gallons (1 gram per 20 gallons) ? once a day?

I am dosing much less...what the label says...1 will need about 11 or 12 grms then...

I buy my metro from Jehmco. Even their label says 250 mg per 10 buy it's too low a dose for Discus
    Mama Bear