AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Seeking opinions on what this is stuck to/in the egg laying tube??

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Patrick

Default Seeking opinions on what this is stuck to/in the egg laying tube??

I have enjoyed learning from this forum for a few years and its now time for my first try at posting. I noticed some egg laying activity going on today, actually 2 separate pairs decided to breed today, and about 12 inches away from each other strangely. Anyway, one of the females has an unusual object on her egg tube. It looks like a stalky splinter looking object more than a parasite to me, but the most rigid plant I have in the tank is amazon sword. Is there a parasite that looks like this?IMG_0458.jpgIMG_0457.jpgIMG_0459.jpgIMG_0462.jpg

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Seeking opinions on what this is stuck to/in the egg laying tube??

I have no idea, but you're right, it doesn't look like a parasite. It's not good being there. If it is a foreign object, you risk an infection setting in.

How long ago did you notice it?

I would keep a close eye on it and keep your water very clean. If you're convinced it is a splinter or something, you may want to gently remove it...

I'd do exactly as Brian suggested.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I have no idea, but you're right, it doesn't look like a parasite. It's not good being there. If it is a foreign object, you risk an infection setting in.

How long ago did you notice it?

I would keep a close eye on it and keep your water very clean. If you're convinced it is a splinter or something, you may want to gently remove it...
    Sorry folks, I just noticed it today, but time has revealed that the anus opening is on the front of the egg laying tube on a Discus apparently. After some time passed I noticed some poo emerging from the same location and eventually all of it was discharged. I feed them a homemade recipe that includes blanched and blended spinach which is likely how such an item entered the digestive system. Looks like I may have to remove stems from spinach if I use it again. Apologies for the false alarm and thank you for your feedback! IMG_0473.jpgIMG_0472.jpgIMG_0474.jpg

Lordy, don't apologize. It was way cool and the solution was to just to let the fish poop it out. I agree remove the stems from now on. I don't imagine that it was a hard and sharp as it looked in the pics but it might have caused a blockage if it hadn't been expelled correctly.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Wow, that's really gross! Glad your fish is ok!!!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Stellar pics mate, very cool...yea, and gross lol

I think that it was cool. May be because it was unusual and let me off the hook when it came to figuring what it was and how it got stuck to her tube. I don't find it gross in the least. Perhaps I'm weird
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 09-01-2019 at 10:18 PM.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Perhaps I'm weird
    Nope, just cool