ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New to the Forum - After some advice

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abel

Default New to the Forum - After some advice

Hi everyone i'm Abel, i'm new to the forum but not new to discus keeping. I'm just after some advice regarding the new discus I have acquired. I've never seen anything like this before and would like to know if anyone has seen this before or knows what the issue is/what causes it. One of the new discus has a problem with it's eye. It's healthy, eating well colours up nicely but it appears to be blind in 1 eye and it looks sunken in too it's head.

20190615_224129_resized.jpg
    20190615_224207_resized.jpg

As you can see from the pictures, when looking at it face on the eye is flat to the side of its head, and the side on view the eye almost looks pixelated. It's very strange and i've never seen anything like it before, and searching the internet I can't find anything like it. It doesn't affect the fish with regards to eating or swimming and it acts perfectly normal.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: New to the Forum - After some advice

I've never seen anything like it either. Sorry.

How long have you had this fish?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abel

Had them 3 days now, its strange because the eye still moves but it looks as though the eye has been pushed in, doesn't seem to affect it at all its really confident and eats well

I'd ask for a refund. The fish should not have been sold.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

It could have been an early injury but it's probably genetic and should have been culled. Did you buy these online? If so, I would ask for a refund...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abel

It was from a private seller, I got 5 for £60 so i'm not too fussed about a refund he was closing his tank down so it was an absolute bargain, ad as the fish seems healthy so far it's not an issue to me and they are in a tank on there own, I understand for a lot they would not be desirable but for the price for all 5, these are the quality of the other fish.

thumbnail_20190615_233853.jpg

Roughly all between 4-5 inches. I was just wanting to know if anyone knew the cause as it's something i've never seen before

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

G'day bloke. I agree with Brian...looks like a congenital defect or result of an injury where the aqueous humor (intraocular fluid) has leaked resulting in a deflated appearance. If he happy and your happy, simply enjoy! Great deal for sub adult discus. You should call him bungeye! Haha
    Last edited by danotaylor; 06-15-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abel

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    G'day bloke. I agree with Brian...looks like a congenital defect or result of an injury where the aqueous humor (intraocular fluid) has leaked resulting in a deflated appearance. If he happy and your happy, simply enjoy! Great deal for sub adult discus. You should call him bungeye! Haha
    G'day Dan, I guess the only way to find out if it's genetic is if it paired off and see what the resulting fry end up like. But hopefully it is just a result of injury. And yeah it was a deal I couldn't turn down £12 a fish which would usually set me back £60+ each. Definitely going to call him bungeye now haha

Here they all are, sorry for the poor picture quality no lights on the tank at the moment
    thumbnail_20190615_235946.jpg

And thanks everyone for the advice atleast I have an idea of what it is now

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post

Since you aren't upset by this condition, I suggest you talk to the breeder. Be direct and ask him what he thinks the cause is and let him know you're not upset about it, you just want to know. If it's from an injury, then there's no reason to keep it from breeding. If it's genetic, I would leave it in community and enjoy it! If it were to pass this condition on to the fry, you could be stuck with 100 baby discus that no one else wants. Anyone who breeds discus should respect them enough to want to improve the line, and not infuse defective genetics...

After a second look, I'm thinking injury...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I went over once to help a sponsor and she had a bunch of juvie discus who's eyes looked like that and in this case it was definitely not genetic. In this particular case I suspect something was up with the water.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening