ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hero fish question...

Default Re: Hero fish question...

Aggression is such a dynamic situation, it's hard to predict how it will play out and size isn't always an indicator.
    And you're thread has reminded me that I'm way overdue for a trip down under.
    Good luck with the 125 final grouping mate!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Cheers mate, everything seems ok so far but the hero hasn't really started contending for food or anything yet...early dayz...if the plans for the 125 work out I'll be stoked.
    Australia, beautiful one day, perfect the next! Get on down there mate and enjoy your aussie eexperience... sounds like you've been before maybe??

I'm sure all will work out well in the 125, time is all that's needed now.

Yeah I have family in Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth not to mention NZ and made a handful of nice long trips between 2000 - 2010
    I'll wait for winter here and usually head down Jan-Feb. Miss family and diving the reef. Nothing like going down under when you are down under ;-)

Real Name
    Daniel

Haha, amen to that. You got peeps all over the place...that's awesome, more stellar places to visit.. with free accommodation, lol...more coin to spend on dives!!
    Thanks for the vote of confidence with the 125's plan...I will stand with you in agreement!
    So are you Aussie then or connected by marriage or something the great land down under?

Yes it sure is great to be greeted by family after 24 hours of flying.
    In a nut shell, much of both my mother's and father's family left Sicily after WWII.
    Some coming here to the US, but more going to Aus.... I have more cousins in Aus then are left in Italy.
    Typically on my trips to Aus I coordinate with my cousins that are left in Italy and we attack from the east and west simultaneously :-D

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Danny, everyone looks great and like the hero fish selection and plan. I bet it goes great.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Daniel

Look out Australia...the Sicilians are comin!! Awesome mate, sounds like your trips down under are a real hoot!
    Thank you Pat, I sure hope so. I have been patient and will continue the slow and steady to try ensure a smooth transition. I even have the newer scratch free 125 gal that Tom gave me to move everyone into when the QT is done. I'm excited!

Real Name
    Daniel

So being a newbie to QT'ing I have a question. I am an ICU RN. It is my understanding of pathogens that that we are talking about microscopic bacteria/viruses/fungus that have incubation periods usually ranging from 3-14 days or thereabouts. I do not know much about internal nematodes, flagalettes, and other parasites. So once we're past the initial 2 weeks, does the extra 4 wk duration have to do mainly with symptoms emerging of the presence of the after mentioned parasites? I have read here during my research period that people clean fresh wild imports using levamisole for internals & prazi for flukes and tapeworms. Can this practice be used to prep 2 separate groups of domestics for life together and reduce the QT period?
    I have been super patient up till this point, and will continue to be to ensure the greatest chance for bringing my 2 groups together, but if the mentioned practice will improve my chances of success, even if it does not reduce the QT period, then I would like to know. Ultimately I want to apply the best strategy to preserve the health and well being of my discus.
    Thanks for any and all thoughts.
    Danny

Real Name
    Brian

Well, I haven't examined things this closely... I've always treated every phase of QT as a new Qt period, thus making QT at least a 3 month period. Maybe I'm too cautious, but I've never had a serious QT related problem. When I have even suspected a very minor issue, QT related or not, I start all over from scratch...

While I would estimate that 80% of issues arise within the first two weeks, most of these are minor issues that are easily cured. I've heard that more serious issues can arise between 2-6 weeks, and I've heard too many horror stories to be comfortable deviating from my process... A bad CC can result in some nasty results that can make some exit the hobby..

But like I said, maybe I'm too cautious

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Danny, I will find Al's QT process for you and explain his methods. Don't rush QT, it is not worth it.
    Pat

Real Name
    Daniel

Thx Brian and Pat. Wow mate, I don't think I've read anywhere here of a 3 month QT. What does CC stand for?
    Thank you Pat, I appreciate your guidance.
    I'm not necessarily in a hurry, though I would love it if it is possible to shorten, but more so I wanna broaden the scope and proactive "cleansing" if that is possible...

Real Name
    Daniel

It just came to me...cross contamination!

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    It just came to me...cross contamination!

Real Name
    Brian

My computer was attacked by a bottle of water while editing my post, so I’ll try this again if my memory allows

A semi-recent example of why I’m so cautious… My first step in introducing existing stock to new stock is to periodically use tank water to the new fish rather than using an actual fish, and vise-versa. If, after 2 weeks, everything is fine, then I add a hero from the existing tank to the new tank and proceed as normal.

Last year I purchased 6 discus and everything was great and I was ready to add the hero, but a busy work schedule forced me to hold off for a couple of weeks because if an issue were to arise I wanted to be available to deal with it. All the sudden, one of the new fish started crashing. I treated the new tank with heat and the fish got better. Two weeks later, I was ready to add the hero, but the same fish started crashing again. This time it did not survive so I held off and started QT all over again. Two weeks later, another new discus of the same strain (Eruptions) began to crash with the exact same symptoms as the first, and a week later the 3rd Eruption began to crash as well. This was around 3 months into the initial QT period. In the end, all 3 Eruptions died of the exact same symptoms, even though the other 3 new fish from the same shipment, and living in the same tank, were perfectly fine.

To make a long story short, I believe these 3 Eruptions were fed something early on that would enhance their color, and I believe they died of organ failure. Even though this was not a contamination issue, I know people who have lost 10’s of thousands of $$ worth of fish because they didn’t see the warning signs, so I treated it as CC because it wasn’t worth it to ignore what could possibly have been a major issue that could have wiped out my entire stock…

In the end, my discus are fine and the 3 Eruptions are the only fish I’ve lost since my return to the hobby

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks Jeep. Great explanation of the reasoning behind you process. Bummer about the eruptions. I wasn't aware hormones or certain color enhancers could cause organ failure. My 2 red albinos were deep red when Dennis 1st imported them from Malaysia. After a few months they had faded to a light peach. I still love em, but now I am extra glad they didn't have the same fate as your eruptions since clearly they we fed some heavy enhancers by the Malaysian breeder.

To carry on the newbie questions, when adding cardinals, rummy nose &/or plecos is the same QT process the way to go? Does 1 QT each species alone or can they be mixed together, watched for 6 weeks and then do the hero fish over again?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast