ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: DISCUS in High TDS .... !!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Haris

Default DISCUS in High TDS .... !!!

Hello to all , Last month I Bought a new tank to basically keep discus group in that ... I had a tank before when i was in Bahrain now I back in my home country Pakistan & bought that tank ( 6ft x 1.5ft x 2ft ) . from last month I am cycling the tank & last week I checked the water , TDS & PH pens shown me PH 8.2 & TDS 800+ , I am using Bore water & afraid of very High TDS. I know the PH is also a little higher than discus need but some member here having also the PH what i am having so my main concern is TDS .

Is that TDS not suitable for discus ?
    Can I still have chance to have Discus group in that high TDS ?
    What are the effects on discus in that high TDS water ?
    Is there any method to lower the TDS Naturally ?

In coming month I am planning to buy discus group so Please let me know in detail .

My tank set up :
    tank Size : 6ft x 1.5ft x 2ft
    Substrate : Pool Sand almost 2 inches bed
    Deco. : 2 Driftwood Pieces almost 12 inches
    2 Stones Piece almost 7-8 inches
    Filteration : Sunsun 403B
    Sponge Filter
    Day Light 6-8 hours On , Night light 16-18 hours On

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: DISCUS in High TDS .... !!!

Hello. TDS can be deceiving because it depends on what the mineral content is. When I add salt to a tank when treating for an illness, my TDS can soar over 3000. Even in a breeder tank, this high TDS will not affect breeding because the high number is sodium. If you can get a test kit and measure GH and KH it will give you a better idea of how hard the water truly is.

If your high TDS is because of high mineral content, the best way to reduce the hardness is by using an RO unit and mix 50/50 RO and tap water. I don't know if your hard water would be bad for your discus because I've never heard of water that hard, but my water is in the 400 range total hardness and they thrive.

As far as ph goes, don't be concerned with high or low ph, be concerned with consistent ph...

Brian

Real Name
    Filip

Hi and welcome Haris.
    I keep mine at 330 ppm of TDS which is approx 650 Ms of conductivity with a PH of 8.2 . Gh And KH of my water are both above 16 .
    My discus grew big and do fairly well in this water .

I believe your water will meet discus needs if you maintain your tank regulary and keep the water fresh and regulary changed .
    If you however decide to lower conductivity and hardness RO unit is the only way to go.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Haris

Thanks You both guys . Its really helpful for my future fishes .

P.s. Do you guys or any one here have any idea to add DH2O Distilled Water in my tank to reduce TDS , Is that will help ???
    Last edited by sharis; 06-16-2019 at 06:52 AM.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by sharis View Post
    Thanks You both guys . Its really helpful for my future fishes .

P.s. Do you guys or any one here have any idea to add DH2O Distilled Water in my tank to reduce TDS , Is that will help ???
    Distilled water would help , but where would you find access to tons of destiled water on a weekly / monthly basis ? .it's expensive and not practical .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Haris

Yeah that's the problem , Someone near to me give me delivery of DH2O @ 6Ltr/0.96$ , But still not workable for me as I need almost that on weekly basis & its gone expensive at the end too ... Thanks anyway Flip.

Flip is right. I think your water is fine as it it and that if you want to lower TDS and pH the most economical way to go is to buy an RO unit.
    Mama Bear