AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pool Filter Sand (PFS) types

Registered Member

Default Pool Filter Sand (PFS) types

Hi,
    I'm interested in using PFS in my Discuss planted tank. I will have plant soil substrate at the back of the tank for plants. The front will include sand only.
    There are so many PFS types. How do I know which type to choose? How do you choose? BTW - live in Israel...

Thanks

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Pool Filter Sand (PFS) types

Israel use metric system i presume , just like in Europe .Ask for 0.3 to 0.8 mm grain size of PFS sand .
    Finer would dust and can be easily siphoned out , and coarser will let debris collect in it so this size is a sweet spot that we ussualy use for discus .
    Ask for Quartz , Silica based (Sio2 ) sand because they are chemically inert .

Registered Member

Real Name
    Filip

The first one falls in that 0.3-0.8 mm range . Second one is close but still a little coarser.
    P.S. It would be a real challenge to separate the subsrate in the back not to mix with your front sand. Stone and wood structures should help you achieving this .

Real Name
    Bill G.

I use coarse sand/fine gravel. The fine PFS stuff is too easily sucked up when doing vacuuming while this stuff stays put. Also, there is no way any of the coarse sand will get mistakingly taken in by filters ruining the impellers. By vacuuming each WC, any super fine gunk settling in the substrate is quickly removed. Larger debris remains on the top of the coarse sand.

61C83B83-4FF8-4F29-AC8B-B3B8686DD55C.jpg
    23A2B55E-FC15-40DC-9AB6-61581218B0FC.jpg
    8E31D83B-2871-409E-8F52-CAEBA5A55001.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

If your looking for truly white sand this is what I use...https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mystic-Wh...b-Bag/44578380

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I like this stuff, it's tan and very natural looking and coarse enough not to get suck up or pack down.
    81dSNx842LL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Real Name
    Mervin

I'm in Canada and use #2 silica from Home Depot or Shaw Brick. 50 lb. bag about $10. Looks like the above in colour.

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    I use coarse sand/fine gravel. The fine PFS stuff is too easily sucked up when doing vacuuming while this stuff stays put. Also, there is no way any of the coarse sand will get mistakingly taken in by filters ruining the impellers. By vacuuming each WC, any super fine gunk settling in the substrate is quickly removed. Larger debris remains on the top of the coarse sand.

61C83B83-4FF8-4F29-AC8B-B3B8686DD55C.jpg
    23A2B55E-FC15-40DC-9AB6-61581218B0FC.jpg
    8E31D83B-2871-409E-8F52-CAEBA5A55001.jpg
    Can you get in this with a phython and clean with out suckling it up

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I like this stuff, it's tan and very natural looking and coarse enough not to get suck up or pack down.
    81dSNx842LL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    Can you clean this with a phython

Jeanne

Registered Member

You want the sand like kosher salt, not table salt. Then a python vacuum won't suck it all the way up the tube. Some fine particles will, but most will go a third to half way up the tube and then fall back down. The problem with the carib sea and other brands is that it is either too fine or its expensive, which defeats the purpose of using pool filter sand. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with any big box home improvement stores in Israel. In the US, I'd direct you to Home Depot.

Registered Member

Thanks,
    How do I know if the vacuum will sick the sand or not? Can I tell by the parameters I put up here earlier?
    Thanks

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Yes Jeanne. This stuff is graded, so almost every grain in the same size. Some of the very small grains that pass through the grading process will get sucked out, but 98% will stay behind when gravel vac'ing

But isn't the point of using PFS the fact that the poo and crud stays on the top so you can just skim over the substrate when you clean your substrate with the python. I'm new to this kind of thing and trying to figure out which is the best.
    Mama Bear

I to Liz am new to sand and I cannot have a tank whether I'm keeping guppies or discus, I have to be able to get on the bottom and clean the substrate and what has kept me away from sand is the ability to clean without sucking it up I want a sand that is fine but not so fine that you

remove when you clean

Jeanne

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast