Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Hello and a couple of questions

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    One more I want you to consider is the Stripe Alenquer. Look for an adult coloring. The wild crosses from Hans or Kenny are not any harder to keep than any of the others, With the except of the Heckels. If you are set on ordering from Hans I suspect he would tell you which to stay away from for the time being. Kenny will also always give his opinion as the hardiness of his fish as well. If you like blue then the Blue Scorpion and the Neon Sapphire are very pretty. Also the Albino Millennium Gold is a lemon color with pale blue and crimson tipping on the fins and not subject to peppering. I still like the Dark Angel or the Mercury cousin.
    Actually any wild cross is still a domestic discus which include all Heckel crosses. This means that any cross is not any harder to keep then domestic discus.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

iTrader
    Real Name
    Ally

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    You look like an artist, Ally.
    Haha, thanks, Liz. Every so often I try to be more "normal" but it never lasts long....

iTrader
    Real Name
    Ally

Thanks everyone for continuing to keep this conversation interesting, it's half the fun reading all the different stories and opinions.

Having a pretty good week so far; the livingroom walls are painted, the tank has been ordered (eee!) and very exciting - the small ageing barrel I set up last week seems to be helping the ammonia battle. The readings still show a small amount of ammonia but I believe it's total ammonia and not free, so I am happy. I hadn't done a water change on the barrel for a week and got those results - yesterday I did a 50% change and will read today. Explained to husband that I wanted a 50 gallon+ barrel in the garage for water changes and he didn't even blink before he said yes - he is getting as excited as I am.

Have been chatting to Discus Hans and he has answered a few more questions including the chloramine issue and he recommended Cloram-x, which I have ordered. I am 95% sure I will be getting my fish from him - I really want one of the Stendker Dark Angels for sure! Now I am just trying to decide if I want to handpick 8 myself or do his 10 "his pick" for the same price to account for possible (probable!) losses going forward.... he has said that he would do his best to make sure there was an angel in that pick. I kinda like the idea of leaving the selection to chance, as I can't seem to chose myself, we will see.

Photo of lovely new wall where the tank will be going - the stand is just the right height that the top of the stand is in line with the top of the sofa which is lovely
    Attached Images Attached Images

iTrader
    12 (100%)

If I were buying the fish for myself I would want to select the ones I like best.
    Mama Bear

iTrader
    Real Name
    Daniel

Hans typically doesn't do individual pics or vid of fish...ya just have to trust him...so whether you get his 10 pick, or pick 8 strains you want to keep, Hans still does the picking.

iTrader
    12 (100%)

I had forgotten that, Danny. Now that you mention it, you're correct.
    Mama Bear

iTrader
    Real Name
    Daniel

Thx Liz. I think I would still rather pick 8 fish of a few diff strains that I know I like the look of than get 10 fish, and possibly not like half of them. Those you don't like as much will detract from the beauty of the ones you do like. Just my 2c worth, lol

iTrader
    Real Name
    Ally

Thanks guys, you are right - I will probably pick the ones I want rather than leave it to chance, as I know I want a Cobalt or Blue Diamond (or a Flachen - is the main difference that the Flachen gets more of a green tint?), at least one Dark Angel, a Silver Pigeonblood and I think a couple of Tefe too after all. I keep changing my mind! I'm pretty torn with getting one of each to see what they look like, or getting them in a group which I actually prefer the look of, but don't want to limit my choices right now

However, I think it would be better that I get ones I have chosen specifically. I think I will get 8 but might go for a couple more if I really can't decide, and whittle them down later as I have favourites.

Husband was very hilarious when I broached the actual cost of the fish with him yesterday. He just made a strange face and said that he won't ask me about the cost of the fish if I don't ask him the cost of his spaceships in the game he plays (he buys special rare ones with real money). Now I am rather intrigued to know the cost of his spaceships....

Got an email notification that my tank will be shipped soon! Guessing next week some time. Really excited now!

Registered Member
    iTrader

I recently ordered Hans pick 10 and he allowed me to pick the strains I wanted. I emailed him and he said as long as he has enough stock I could get the ones I wanted. Try contacting him.

The Flachens are more of greenish hue and very pretty.

iTrader
    12 (100%)

I'm not crazy about the PB strains but I have to admit a good White Pigeon is very beautiful. I won't say what I think about the Dark Angels, although I can also see their appeal.

I really like your other choices, especially the Stendker Tefe's. I know that they're totally domestic, but they do have a wild look to them. But I am not you. You have plenty to choose from to get the look you want.

I'm excited, too.
    Mama Bear

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345