ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Hello and a couple of questions

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: Hello and a couple of questions

Quote Originally Posted by Pudmuppy View Post
    He is a very good man, he just gets a bit anxious over some things He has been looking at a few fish with me and I have been encouraging him to help pick types out - so far he seems to really like blue turk types and snakeskins. I still haven't decided what types to go for.....

I think the tank has nearly cycled, but have actually bought a new API ammonia kit as I still have a suspicion that it is not reading accurately, however I have taken a few days holiday from 4th October and I reckon that's the perfect time to be home to receive a package, if you know what I mean

I am considering adding a few scatterfish in the next couple of days to act as canaries, and also because I would really like to have something moving in there soon - would it be wise to add a few cardinals or others, or perhaps a few cories? Or should I really just wait until the discus are in there for a few weeks/months?
    From my experience, I would not wait to get the tank mates, however, start them off in the QT tank and put the Discus in the main tank when they arrive. I would follow the qt process for any addition.

Cross contamination is rare if you add dither fish to the tank before the Discus arrive. But you have been so cautious up to now, I would hate for it to happen to you now. Disease it hard for even a hardened Discus keeper to deal with. If I were you, I wouldn't take the chance. If you run into problems related to the cycle, just change more water until the filter catches up to the increased bio-load.

Once you are comfortable that the Discus are doing fine, if you still want other peaceful fish in the tank do it then. You will have to go through the whole PITA QT process which involves taking your least perfect Discus and putting it in the tank with the new fish and seeing if they carry something that the Discus have never been exposed to and get sick.

I think that your husband has excellent taste. I'm prejudiced though. I'm fond of the same strains and they look great swimming together in one big tank. They are different enough to make things interesting, but similar enough that if they interbreed you get some of each. Blue Diamonds are also a fish you might want to consider adding the mix.

I'm sorry. Your taste may well be very different from mine. But it seems to be good for you and the Discus if hubby thinks that he has a stake in this. Remember, he's the one who wanted the larger tank.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Cross contamination is rare if you add dither fish to the tank before the Discus arrive. But you have been so cautious up to now, I would hate for it to happen to you now. Disease it hard for even a hardened Discus keeper to deal with. If I were you, I wouldn't take the chance. If you run into problems related to the cycle, just change more water until the filter catches up to the increased bio-load.

Once you are comfortable that the Discus are doing fine, if you still want other peaceful fish in the tank do it then. You will have to go through the whole PITA QT process which involves taking your least perfect Discus and putting it in the tank with the new fish and seeing if they carry something that the Discus have never been exposed to and get sick.

I think that your husband has excellent taste. I'm prejudiced though. I'm fond of the same strains and they look great swimming together in one big tank. They are different enough to make things interesting, but similar enough that if they interbreed you get some of each. Blue Diamonds are also a fish you might want to consider adding the mix.

I'm sorry. Your taste may well be very different from mine. But it seems to be good for you and the Discus if hubby thinks that he has a stake in this. Remember, he's the one who wanted the larger tank.
    Liz said it best!

Liz, I'm also gearing towards one color tanks. There is a beauty bout it that I cannot explain.

Real Name
    Ally

I'm sitting here reading the forums, twiddling my fingers as I am momentarily on pause - I don't want to risk anything in the tank until it is fully cycled, even if doing such large water changes, and I have actually found something interesting that might be useful to others -

My tank was just not cycling properly. Still getting ammonia readings and no nitrites after two weeks+, and I couldn't work out why it was stalling. Then I read on another forum that sometimes Prime locks everything away a bit too well - I did a big water change and used API tap water dechlorinator that I had in the house and the next day - cloudy water, ammonia dropping, nitrites rising. My water is pretty poisonous at the moment, but I am now seeing a breakdown from nitrites to nitrates, and no ammonia! Will do another big water change tomorrow and am really hoping that it will be cycled in the next week. Prime is just too efficient apparently.

I am also having a few problems with my elder dog that needed sorting, which has distracted me recently and I didn't want to purchase fish until this was resolved. She is doing much better now and I am pretty confident that I will have fish in the next two weeks. I haven't got any dithers yet, but that's ok because husband is too amused playing with the color settings on my new light to remember he wanted fish in there

... I also just got a new 20 gallon tank today, so I am consolidating my two lots of newts and assorted odds and ends into one tank, and then a couple of the fancy goldfish are going back into my mini pond outside permanently (I am stressing about that, but in Texas winter is not really winter!)

I am also trying to decide which strains to get! I want to do a group of single strains, or two strains - ie red and white or blue and white. I am thinking maybe not yellows for my first foray because it does add just a little bit more of a complication to an already complicated beginning, not sure yet. I am strongly considering Hans Tefe and Santarems - however they would have to be small ones, as I can't quite justify paying for his larger ones, or Myrtle Beach has several different types that are very interesting and a bit bigger in size for their cost, including blue snakeskins and Tiger turks - I am finding it hard to find good photos of adult tigers though, as they seem very variable, but that's half the fun isn't it - growing them up and seeing what emerges. We will see!

I will also start a new thread tracking my first Discus journey so it's separate from this thread, which is already too long
    Last edited by Pudmuppy; 10-05-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Yeah, Prime will for sure cover the existence if ammonia. I had no idea that the API would not. That is extremely good information.

My taste runs more toward the classic strains, but your taste is different from mine. Get the strains that most make turn you on most.
    Mama Bear

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567