AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Advice please

Registered Member

Default Advice please

HI everyone, I'm setting up a decent sized room to hopefully breed Discus. I have a few pairs and have had limited success up to now ( Blue Diamonds, Solid Golden, Cobalt, Scarlet Snakeskin, Snow Leopard and Galaxy Turks ) I have it in my mind to buy one more batch of fish and then resist the temptation to bring in any new fish as I'm sure that sooner or later disease will raise its head. So I'm looking for advise on what strains that maybe could be crossed with each other after time and also with the fish that I have ?
    I realise it's a complicated question, but hopefully there's an expert out there who can give me some ideas.
    Thanks in advance

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Advice please

If the solid goldens are not PB why not put everyone in a large tank and allow them to pair up naturally. If you like the pairing raise the fry and see what you get?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

HI Pat, all the ones I have are pairs except the Snow Leopards, which are a group of 8

Real Name
    Mervin

BD, cobalt and snakeskin might get you some scorpions. If you have mixed pairs.

Registered Member

If you don't cross any of your pairs you can still end up with a mix variety of Discus as current Discus are
    crosses anyway for example when breeding snakeskins the result can be plain brown with 8 stress bars, turquoise scribble, turquoise straight lines, turquoise pearl pattern,snakeskin plain 14 stress bar, snakeskins reds, snakeskin maze patterns, snakeskin fine line, snakeskin vertical
    line. These are call STAT Discus.

Cliff

Real Name
    Mervin

Also it's best to use blue SS to get scorpions. I saw scarlet after the my post.

Registered Member

Thanks for your replays guys, I obviously have a lot to learn. Maybe I'm thinking too far ahead.