ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Internal Parasites

Registered Member

Default Internal Parasites

Hi guys, here we go again.

Feels like this is the only topic section I write In but after a few weeks of ups and downs Im here again and I feel like this Is the best place to get good answers.
    One of my discus Is having thick, white poop and I've ordered meds (eSha Hexamita, recommended from a Pet Store owner). Now Im wondering If I should treat only the one with sympthons or the whole group? I dont have a cuarantine tank (going to get one later this summer) so Im wonderimg If I could use a 17 gallon storage container and add a heater and spongefilter Instead of medicating the 100 gallon tank that has sand substrate and some plants.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Internal Parasites

I'm not sure that's Hex. Have you noticed any other odd behavior such as bloating, not eating or turning dark?

Registered Member

He/she spends the most of Its time in a corner by Itself but swims around with the others for a short while during/after waterchange. Not turning really dark but Is darker than the others and showing more mood bars. Have not seen him eat lately. Breathing Is normal.

Real Name
    Brian

Try treating with epsom salt while you wait for the meds. This will clear out the intestinal tract. When the med arrives, crank up the heat to 93 for 10 days. I can't find what the active ingredient is in this medication so I'm not sure how to dose. If it is hex, the heat alone may cure your discus...

Let us know how it goes and if it's not hex, there may be another solution...

Registered Member

https://youtu.be/nCd4Vreqcc4

Its the one In the back. Filmed 24 hours ago. Noticed the white thick poop about 48 hours ago. Seen white poop from It before but thought that came from eating white musquito larvae. The 2 "yellow" ones are eating like pigs, the rest more picky and usually eats bits from the bottom of the tank. All water conditions are where they are supposed to be and tank water 30-31 degrees celsius.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Try treating with epsom salt while you wait for the meds. This will clear out the intestinal tract. When the med arrives, crank up the heat to 93 for 10 days. I can't find what the active ingredient is in this medication so I'm not sure how to dose. If it is hex, the heat alone may cure your discus...

Let us know how it goes and if it's not hex, there may be another solution...
    And what dosage do I use with Epson for 100 gallon? Ive never used epson salt before. Real new to all of this.

Real Name
    Brian

I don't know European measurements, but 1/8 teaspoon for 5 gallons should do fine. It's a general laxative...

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

I've dosed epsom salts as high as 3 tbsp/10 gal for seriously constipated fish. I don't think that looks like a hex/spironucleus poop though. You can soak flake or pellet in saturated MgSO4 solution (water with left over epsom salt at the bottom, only make a small amount it takes a lot of epsom salt) to help clear the digestive system. Interestingly, epsom salt in feed appears to be an effective treatment of hex/spironucleus in freshwater trout.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I don't think that looks like a hex/spironucleus poop though.
    I'm thinking this as well. A fish with advanced hex will stop eating, produce white stringy feces and wither away. Yours is producing a thicker feces more related to worms, more specifically round worms, but it's hard to diagnose without a microscope. Do you have access to Levamosile or Flubendazole? If treating for worms, you need to treat the entire tank... Even though this doesn't appear to be tapeworms, I would recommend treating with Prazi at some time in the future as well...

If you can't get the pure meds, maybe there is an over the counter product you can look for...

Registered Member

Hey guys! Sorry about the late update but It has been a busy summer. Just wanted to update that all my Discus Is doing very well! I treated the tank with epsom salt for 5 days with a raised temperature of 32 degrees celsius. Then I got my meds and I treated the tank with the correct dosage and added 1 day extra on the medication. So If It was just the epsom salt or a combination Im not sure but they all are doing great and growing well. The one that had symptoms of sickness It growing, eating VERY well and Is a real social butterfly. Here's some pictures. Sorry about that dreadful photobucket watermark

To the left

The one In the front

The one to the left

What a turn-around! The fish looks great! It didn't look like hex to me either but never considered intestinal blockage. Jeep was right again! I'm happy for you that the sick fish is totally better.
    Mama Bear

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Glad he is all better! What a turn around!