ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Compatibility Question...

Registered Member

Default Compatibility Question...

Hello,

I have a 100 gallon tank with 5 discus. One was purchased from my LFS(last one, great discount), and the other four online(Hans Discus). They are not the same strand.

The one from the LFS is doing great. The other four purchased online are not taking well to the tank. One will eat from time to time, while the other three remain in hiding. They do not look malnourished even though I have seen them eat 1-2 times over the course of 3-4 months. They just hide in the back, and appear dark.

The fish from the LFS appears to be dominant. However, they will hang out from time to time as a group.

Looking for some guidance. Thank you in advance.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Compatibility Question...

Did you quarantine the 4 from Hans before mixing them with the other from the LFS? Discus can be healthy but carry pathogens that they are immune to that other are not. Without (even with) the proper QT cross contamination can occur and cause sickness in either group. This can happen quickly, trust me. If the proper QT is not followed and both groups appear healthy initially what you are likely seeing in cross contamination. Search the beginners section for the proper QT protocol.

I QT'd 2 groups of fish (1 Asian discus group & 1 locally bred group) separately for over 3 months. Both groups were healthy & strong, eating well, good color, very social. I added a hero fish from 1 group to the other 6 days ago and within 4 days noticed darkening, off food, breathing rapidly and skittishness in my other 4 discus. This am 1 was dead. Totally blown away as both groups separately were going strong. Still not totally sure of the diagnosis but between Second Hand Pat & Jeep's advice I added 5 measured cups of sea salt to my 75gal tank (1tbsp/gal) after a 90% water change with aged water. This evening their color is dark but better, respirations are much slower, they're not thrashing about the tank when I approach.

All that to say that mixing discus from different sources is a gamble, even when the appropriate QT measures are followed. When they are not followed it is like Russian roulette...

Please fill it out this template to assist in diagnosing and coming up with a treatment plan for your current situation.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete
    There are people here that know the scoop and will help you, just like they did me...all the best