ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: coopers 6x2x2

Default Re: coopers 6x2x2

I just witnessed some extremely awkward looking discus sex between fish 1 and 5. They now have a clutch of a couple hundred eggs that they don't know what to do with. The commotion got the rams in the mood again, they are spawning as I type. The discus were funny to watch, they both had a go at eating the first few eggs and I'm pretty sure fish 5 was just doing the motions to avoid a beating.

I don't expect anything to come of it but its nice to see two nice fish making use of the driftwood.
    My tank - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135251-coopers-6x2x2&highlight=

This is strange IMO. Fish 1 (definite female) has ditched fish 5 (male??) as a partner and a different fish has adopted a parental role over the eggs, it appears to be doing a pretty good job. I thought it was eating the clutch but on closer inspection it was just blowing them kisses. It appears that this fish is willing to foster / wet nurse other fishes eggs, at least this batch anyway.
    My tank - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135251-coopers-6x2x2&highlight=

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Very cool. I had a female that "made the rounds" spawning with a different male every 2nd or 3rd batch...

Now another female has spawned, fish 9 (female) has paired with fish 4 (sex ?). Fish 4 is the adoptive parent over the last batch of eggs, which disappeared last night. My tank is extremely randy, there's eggs and sperm all over the joint LOL

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by cooper666 View Post
    Now another female has spawned, fish 9 (female) has paired with fish 4 (sex ?). Fish 4 is the adoptive parent over the last batch of eggs, which disappeared last night. My tank is extremely randy, there's eggs and sperm all over the joint LOL
    They are happy!

They are happy but i'm concerned that it's not a great sign. The fish that have laid eggs aren't that big and I'm wondering if producing eggs will strip energy from growth. The fish that laid eggs, one was a problem fish that had lots of swim bladder problems early on. The other was a resent purchase that is a bit small for its age (I think). Perhaps this is another reason to grow out fish in a bare tank, limiting territories and potential spawning sites might drive them to grow rather than breed.

If I ever see wrigglers from the right pair I might consider breeding and growing out some fish in order to get the best examples for my display. I'm a long way off that though.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by cooper666 View Post
    They are happy but i'm concerned that it's not a great sign. The fish that have laid eggs aren't that big and I'm wondering if producing eggs will strip energy from growth. The fish that laid eggs, one was a problem fish that had lots of swim bladder problems early on. The other was a resent purchase that is a bit small for its age (I think). Perhaps this is another reason to grow out fish in a bare tank, limiting territories and potential spawning sites might drive them to grow rather than breed.

If I ever see wrigglers from the right pair I might consider breeding and growing out some fish in order to get the best examples for my display. I'm a long way off that though.
    As long as the eggs are gone by the next day you should be fine. I’m not sure that the energy they use to breed takes away from there growth. I believe what happens is that they stop eating to care for the fry and that’s what slows their growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    As long as the eggs are gone by the next day you should be fine. I’m not sure that the energy they use to breed takes away from there growth. I believe what happens is that they stop eating to care for the fry and that’s what slows their growth.
    They are not smart enough to look after their eggs full time, they bail during feeds and pig out. My concern is that gamete production, particularly in females, takes lots of energy. Energy that I would rather they turn into meat. Anyway, there's not much use complaining. I love my fish, perfect or not. I'm sure that the spawners will still gain size, but I'm also confident that it will tax the growth some.

about 2 decades ago I owned a couple of discus. I was too smart to care fro them proplerly, knew better lol. They were some of the poorest examples of discus in history and they spawned often. These things looked like bug eyed aliens, shame on me. Learned from the experience, thankfully.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

You’re right. Just found this online.

Female Discus tend to stop growing once they begin to ovulate, and egg-laying is quite common as early as eight or nine months of age. As sexual maturity is a function of age, it behooves us to get that fish as large as possible before that point. The larger the female, the large the spawn!

Some eggs finally hatched and I've got wrigglers in my display. I don't have any particular love for either parent, so I'm going to ignore them. Nice to know that there's a working male in the tank, and my water is suitable for hatching discus with no alterations, except removing the chlorine.

Fun stuff.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Sweet mate, that's great. I'm pretty sure Elliot (Pastry) has had parent raise fry in his planted display. Not sure if they made it past fry stage, but it can happen. Fun times!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234