ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Keeping geos with discus

Registered Member

Default Keeping geos with discus

Hi, I’m new to the forums. I’ve just had my first set of discus and I love them! But bloody hell are they messy eaters 😂

When in the shop I noticed that they had some geophagus ( sorry I cannot remember which strain) in the discus tanks, I’ve only ever seen them on YouTube but not in any stores. I was planning on getting something extra to help clean up the food from the bottom, would these be a good fish to go for? I was planning on maybe a team of sterabi Corey’s or a geo or 2, although I prefer the geos after seeing them in person...

Tanks a 65g currently with 6 3inch discus 10 cardinals and a golden nugget pleco

Default Re: Keeping geos with discus

Can't speak on the geophagus as I've never seen them kept with discus. Interesting though.
    IMO the Albino Bristlenose pleco is best for cleaning up... That said they do create their own waste as a result.

Real Name
    Mervin

I have never had them with discus, but mine are gentle giants. If a gentle large cichlid is what your looking for, this is the one. I've seen them back down from much, much smaller fish. They do sift the sand well and sand substrate is what you'll need. When I bought mine they where supposed to be G. proximus. But I wound up with a mix of G. dicozoster and G. abalios instead. They can be rambunctious fast eaters, so adult discus would be worth a try. They do better in groups like discus do.

Real Name
    Bill G.

My Cories do a great job cleaning the bottoms of all three tanks......love ‘em.

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    My Cories do a great job cleaning the bottoms of all three tanks......love ‘em.
    I keep both in my tanks... The cories are great to watch but believe me... they're amateurs when it comes to getting every last bit.

Registered Member

True its almost like there blind ... random not organized at all

I considered putting discus with my geophagus when set up my 180 gallon 2 years ago. Several people discouraged me from doing so, so decided against it. I have 5 geophagus sveni and 3 g. neambi.
    Now, after having for a couple years, I am happy that I didnt put them together. Mine are voracious eaters, boisterous with each other, and dont think it would have been a good fit in my case. Instead, I put them with wild African tetras. This is an excellent match because the African tetras I have grow about 3 inches and are of a bold temperament.

That is a good consideration sometimes overlooked
    Discus can sometimes be timid eaters in a community. A school of frenzy feeding tetras is enough to make them cautious.

@lewjo
    I know... but they are cute little buggers. They remind me of the Keystone Cops

The Bristlenose on the other hand leave no grain of sand unturned.
    Last edited by slicksta; 06-28-2019 at 07:21 AM.