AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Does Indian Almond Leaves cause peppering?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Charles

Default Does Indian Almond Leaves cause peppering?

Hello everyone!

Over the past two months I have noticed that one my discus has had an increased amount of peppering especially along his nose. He has eaten nothing but freeze dried black worms since I got him because he refuses to eat BH no matter how long I starve him :/ There is also another discus in the tank which does not seem to show increased peppering and a betta fish. I have not included a background in the tank so it is basically a brown brick wall. It is a bare bottom tank with a green and blue base which the fish can see. I am going to add a white background to the tank very soon so I hope that will help.

Before each water change (every other day) I boil 2 IAL to form 5L of extract which I put into the tank to create a brown look. I have read that IAL prevent fungal and bacterial diseases and also mimics the habitats of discus and betta fish which is why I use them.

The water parameters show that there is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate (it's a planted tank) and the pH is 7.0. Lights are on for 9 hours a day and I use the aqua one plant glo light. Could the colour of the light be affecting the peppering as well?

Could all of this be due to his diet and genetics or is the IAL causing this issue as well?
    Thank you very much for the help in advance!

IMG_9584.jpg
    Last edited by Chiles; 06-26-2019 at 04:43 AM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Does Indian Almond Leaves cause peppering?

I would doubt that the boiled IALs are adding to the peppering. Perhaps move the fish to a QT with really clean water (without the IALs) and see what happens?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I agree with Pat.

Peppering is mostly genetic in the pigeon blood family and worsening PB x's. The aquarium decor and background color can enhance the peppering if dark, and it usually gets worse if the discus are stressed.
    I have 3 PB types; red panda, red melon and marlb yellow. They are very clean of peppering and even against my black background show very little, most likely due to clean genetics.
    In my 35 yrs in the hobby, most LFS PB are of average to poor quality and have high density peppering.
    I highly doubt IAL have any causation in your experience...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Charles

Thank you everyone for the input!

It's good to know that IAL is probably not the cause to peppering. I bought these two from the LFS and they were probably not the best looking ones... On the flip side, though, they have great personality which is why I really love them. I'll pick better quality discus next time I buy them