AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jack Wattley Reps Advocate 20% WC Weekly?

Registered Member

Default Jack Wattley Reps Advocate 20% WC Weekly?

Hey All,

A couple videos came out on YouTube recently for Jack Wattley Discus. Two separate presenters stated they clean their personal tanks once a week with only a 20% WC.

Now, I'm not one to be dogmatic about WC schedules. I think whatever works for a given person is fine. And these are their personal planted tanks, not the crowded hatchery tanks. But still, 20% once a week seems kind of low to me.

On the other hand, these are long-standing employees of a reputable discus hatchery. I imagine they know what they'e doing.

So I'm curious, what does everyone here on the forum think of this?

Registered Member

Default Re: Jack Wattley Reps Advocate 20% WC Weekly?

I am far from an expert but dont they have better filtration systems.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Revan View Post
    Hey All,

A couple videos came out on YouTube recently for Jack Wattley Discus. Two separate presenters stated they clean their personal tanks once a week with only a 20% WC.

Now, I'm not one to be dogmatic about WC schedules. I think whatever works for a given person is fine. And these are their personal planted tanks, not the crowded hatchery tanks. But still, 20% once a week seems kind of low to me.

On the other hand, these are long-standing employees of a reputable discus hatchery. I imagine they know what they'e doing.

So I'm curious, what does everyone here on the forum think of this?
    My personal view of this is show me the fish. The condition of the fish will tell you the truth whether the tank maintenance/feeding schedule is spot on. So don't tell me....show me. Also this could be a selling ploy since the videos are representing Jack Wattley Discus.

I do wish Gabe would update the name of the business to reflect his own brand.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lewjo11 View Post
    I am far from an expert but dont they have better filtration systems.
    I don't think filtration would matter, as long as the tank has sufficient nitrifying bacteria to convert ammonia and nitrites. After that basic consideration, it's mostly nitrates that drive the need to change water, and no excess in filtration would cover that. The exception of course being a deep sand bed or some unique set-up that sustains anaerobic bacteria.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    My personal view of this is show me the fish. The condition of the fish will tell you the truth whether the tank maintenance/feeding schedule is spot on. So don't tell me....show me. Also this could be a selling ploy since the videos are representing Jack Wattley Discus.

I do wish Gabe would update the name of the business to reflect his own brand.
    Pat
    Totally agree. The video with Gabe didn't show his personal fish, though. And the video with the other gentlemen showed them but not close enough to really get a good look.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

They shouldn't give the wrong impression to people who try to get into the discus keeping hobby. All I can say is they just want more business from people all over the world. We all know if we don't keep up with the WC, the fish have a good chance of getting sick and probably not able to recover and dead. More purchase and more sick fish.....and the cycle keep going. That is very sad

My 2 cents

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Stendker's website says 50% weekly. When I asked Hans he said "well 2 is better", LOL

Registered Member

I change small amounts every other day which in a week's time amounts to around 50%. I spoke to a local breeder in my area of angels and discus with over 40 years experiecs. He changes once a week less than 50%. Can water changes be over done as well as under done?

Timing water changes is very subjective in my opinion.
    Tank size, quantity of fish and feeding schedule all play key factors.
    If you had a 150 gallon tank with two adults and you fed once a day you could probably go 6-8 weeks with a 25% wc
    You should be doing water changes based on Nitrate levels. Below 10ppm for adults, below 5ppm for the youngins'
    My 1.724 cents

Registered Member

It's been interesting to see people's responses. I'll provide my own two cents to my own query.

Given the reps in question stated they keep planted tanks, I don't think it would surprise anyone that they get by with smaller WC. After all, plants consume nitrates. However even considering this, 20% weekly sounds very small to me.

I suspect the other, larger factor at play is water hardness, PH, or some other environmental factor. To clarify, I think they might be good on all other factors, so they can get away with a bit of nitrates in the tank. Let me explain further.

I personally subscribe to the one-stressor-is-OK school of thought. While zero stress-factors is of course best, I believe most fish are hardy enough to deal with one bad thing and remain in decent health. But add a second bad thing, and things go down hill. Many discus keepers require frequent WC for success because some other factor, likely unknown, is not optimal for this sensitive species, and when they don't change water the fish get sick. It's the straw that breaks the camels back. I myself, for example, have high PH water. I generally have success though because I stay vigilant on everything else, including frequent WC to keep nitrates very very low. Maybe someone else over-stocks their tank, which is a stressor, but because they're great on all other factors they still have success.

So I do think 20% weekly is too little for most people, but for these specific people it could work. I guess it comes back to 'whatever works for you'. There's simply too many factors for a one-size-fits-all approach.

Registered Member

Yeah, Gabe probably should've had a caveat in that statement. There are many different factors that could go into his rec on 20% WCs. Type of food, feeding schedule, types of plants, filtration, ph level, stocking level, etc. I can go 2 weeks without a WC, but I have a planted tank and low ph. And my Nitrates are 7ppm. Of course, I still do weekly 50% WCs, because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Also it depends on what you want your discus look like. Football shape, big dinner plate......

I have 21 quarter size baby discus with daily 90% WC. In less than one year, almost everyone grow to the size of over 7 inches and the smallest one still got to 6 inches.

P1.jpg

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by gators111 View Post
    Yeah, Gabe probably should've had a caveat in that statement. There are many different factors that could go into his rec on 20% WCs. Type of food, feeding schedule, types of plants, filtration, ph level, stocking level, etc. I can go 2 weeks without a WC, but I have a planted tank and low ph. And my Nitrates are 7ppm. Of course, I still do weekly 50% WCs, because I'm a glutton for punishment.
    Ha. "Glutton for punishment." +1

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by eugenefish View Post
    Also it depends on what you want your discus look like. Football shape, big dinner plate......

I have 21 quarter size baby discus with daily 90% WC. In less than one year, almost everyone grow to the size of over 7 inches and the smallest one still got to 6 inches.

P1.jpg
    They look nice and grew well because they didn't grow up in a toilet. Imagine only flushing the toilet 20% each time.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    They look nice and grew well because they didn't grow up in a toilet. Imagine only flushing the toilet 20% each time.

Haha, you are the man. I couldn't find another better word to say.. It is up to the discus keeper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast