AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Test the gh is 17.9, but kh is 107.9, how can I lower kh please ??

Registered Member

Default Test the gh is 17.9, but kh is 107.9, how can I lower kh please ??

Recently I was using Discus Buffer to lower the PH as my PH is 7.6 and two of my Discus pair off and have laid eggs 4 times, but all turned white the next day. Some members advised me not to use this Discus Buffer as it will stress out my Discus. They were right, my PH changed to 7.4 but swing back to 7.6 the next day, my Discus stressed out and got ICK. I treated them and the pair has recovered. They laid eggs for the 5th times, but eggs turn white again. I finally brought the GH and KH kit and test the hardness of the water, my KH need 6 drops to turn from blue to bright yellow so my KH is 107.4 ppm (too high I guess) but to my surprise my GH was fine, I put in the first drop, it did not even turn orange, it is green already, I put another drops, it is still the same green. So my GH i7.9 ppm (or lower ?) then I realize my water is actually soft water even though my PH is 7.6 as I got a water softener installed in the basement since we got really hard tap water. So I guess regardless of the PH 7.6, perhaps the eggs can still hatch when my pair is mature enough, as when I brought the 4 young Discus in Feb.2019 they were about 4 or 5 months old, but I never ask the additional checkerboard one (the male) how old he is, he is a little larger than the original 4 young Discus. OR my KH is too high and eggs cannot hatch ?? so can somebody please tell me how I can lower my KH please. Any advice will be much appreciated.thumb_DSC04055_1024.jpg

Registered Member Shaun's Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

Default Re: Test the gh is 17.9, but kh is 107.9, how can I lower kh please ??

KH can be lower, around 4. Do you have anything in the tank such as some form of rock???
    A high KH is caused from calcium and carbonates in the water.
    Get you KH a bit lower and TDS below 100
    If your attempting to breed, remove everything from the tank and only use dechlorinator with your water changes to get your KH and TDS under control.

If I'm not mistaken water softeners use sodium to soften water. I don't use one so I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure I read that here. Any kind of salt will make the TDS shoot sky high but it doesn't interfere with the hatching of eggs. You might want to consider buying an RO unit to use for breeding.
    Mama Bear

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    If I'm not mistaken water softeners use sodium to soften water. I don't use one so I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure I read that here. Any kind of salt will make the TDS shoot sky high but it doesn't interfere with the hatching of eggs. You might want to consider buying an RO unit to use for breeding.
    Bingo.

If you are on well water and use a water softener then this is what you will see. Low GH (low magnesium and calcium) high KH (high carbonate). If you can test the water before the softener you will find it has high GH (high magnesium and calcium) and also high KH (high carbonate). A water softener swaps out magnesium and calcium for sodium (or potassium if you spend the extra cash) which prevents the calcium carbonate (chalk/limestone) from depositing in your hot water system, kettle, shower, washing machine etc. It does nothing to reduce the carbonate present but sodium carbonate is much more soluble than calcium carbonate.

To reduce TDS the only option is to use RO water. Blending RO with non-softened water you can reduce your GH and KH to the desired level. You can try and reduce KH by adding acid but it can be tricky and if you do it wrong harmful to your fish.

Registered Member

Hi Shaun, I moved this pair into a 20 gallon tank, the tank is bare bottom, no rocks, except a piece of driftwood which I thought might lower the PH slowly. I got a sponge filter, a tetra whisper hang in filter, a breeding cone and one plant in a small glass jar which I put silicone at the bottom of the jar, so it hit on the aquarium. If I ever able to have the eggs hatch, I will remove the hang in filter so the young won't suck in. I put white background on all side including the bottom of the tank as the fish place guy told me the young have to find the parent, I guess if I ever get lucky, I will remove the driftwood and the plant as well. But on the instruction sheet of the KH and GH kit, all it said to lower KH is to keep on changing water. I siphon out fish waste everyday and change about 1/5 of the water daily.

Registered Member

I am not on well water, but my tap water is very hard, that is why everyone in our area have to buy a water softener, and you are right, otherwise the calcium and chalk like stuff with deposit in my hot water tank and plug it in no time and my kettle will have a layer of white stuff at the bottom. I did bought a jug of 5 gallon RO water which cost me $13.56 and each refill is only 3.25, that is because I cannot afford for an RO system, so when my pair is mature enough, I guess I will follow your advice to add RO water to the tap water gradually to get to the desire KH and GH. Thank you for your advise

Registered Member

As long as it does not interfere with the hatching of eggs, I am happy as I cannot afford an RO Unit. For now both tank - Big tank with 3, and the breeding tank with these two, they seems very happy, except eggs always turn white, perhaps the male is not mature enough !