AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Black worm feeding my 4 month fry

Registered Member

Default Black worm feeding my 4 month fry

I have been extremely lucky I had about 50 fry 4 months ago. Less the 5 died. Water changes about every 3 days. They are in a 75G tank and most are about 2.0-2.5 inches. I've been using beefheart bloodworms and Hans Flake. Beefheart only after one try clouds the tank. My tank never seems to uncloud. Bloodworm works good as a thaw it and spoon it in with a fork. They now love flake. Would anyone recommend black worms? I want to buy them here but dont use PayPal or have checks anymore. Also the expense.. how much blackworm would I need Al? Thank you

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Black worm feeding my 4 month fry

I would definitely recommend blackworms for juvies but no clue on how you could pay for it. Your bank might be able to sent out a check electronically. Al only accepts checks and paypal as far as I know. I cut a cube into thirds and stick it to the glass. Only using one cube for 16 juvies ATM.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Thank you! Just set up a new PayPal account. Used it years ago but couldn't reset it. I will order some soon. I purchased some on Amazon and it seems they have little to no interest? Only the plexo. Lol.. Any ideas?

I would get rid of the beefheart unless you feed freeze dried, live blackworm definitely you will see them grow overnight, try eastern aquatics for live and California blackworm for freeze dried.

Jeanne

Registered Member

Place my order with Al online yesterday. What's the recommended why to feed black worms as they float on top?

Definitely give them a soaking, 20+ minutes as Freezedried can cause problems otherwise. It'll also add some weight to them so some of them will sink.
    I use a floating food tray that corals most of them to one area.
    Some stick the cubes to the glass but that hasn't worked as well for me.

Real Name
    Pat

For juvies I cut the dry cube into thirds and press it to the glass. I am sure to press all the air of the cube so the food does not absorb the moisture in the gut of the fish.
    Pat

Pat
    Do you soak them first or just press the air out?

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    Pat
    Do you soak them first or just press the air out?
    Depends on the size of the fish John. For two inches or less I grind the cubes with a coffee grinder into fines (that is what Al calls then). I put a small amount of fines into a small cup and add very warm water. After a few minutes some will settle on the bottom of the cup and I will suck that up with a syringe (no needle) and add it to the tank. The fish go crazy. Between raising the contest fish and now the wild F1s I am prefering to use live BBS until the fish will no long accept them. The wild F1s are getting to the point of not accepting the BBS and they are big enough to accept a cube split into thirds and pressed against the side of the tank.
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 06-29-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Reason I ask is that even with larger fish.. 5"+ I need to be careful with Freezedried anything.
    If I feed too much or not soak long enough they will do the nose_down shimmy for a while after feeding.
    Along with soaking I always feed some flake first so that the Freezedried is not the only thing in their stomach.

Sorry lewjo for the hijack :-D