ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this behavior normal? Swimming "flat" and swimming through tight spaces.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Is this behavior normal? Swimming "flat" and swimming through tight spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    But to be honest I don't understand why it is important to age water when the pH in my tank and in my straight from the tap water is exactly the same.
    You are fortunate. This is rare but not unheard of. If you are using city supplied tap water, it will be under pressure and water under pressure contains c02. This is what your micro bubbles are and they are an irritant to fish. C02 is usually a main cause of ph swings. As long as your tap ph is the same as your tank ph, and the micro bubbles are dissipated, you are good to go...

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Is this behavior normal? Swimming "flat" and swimming through tight spaces.

Out of my tap ph is 7.4. After aging for 24 hrs. - 3 days still 7.4, maybe 7.3, hardly any change. If I was to change about 50% from the tap it would still have micro bubbles. This is the reason I age my water. When doing extra large WC's on planted tanks you can really see how many micro bubbles/false pearling there is. Our source is lake water, ph 5-6.2 depending on the time of year. They use sodium hydroxide to increase ph to hinder pipe erosion. And a coagulant Aluminum sulphate to clot the organic matter. The low ph in our lakes is caused by many years of coal burning and acid rain. They are slowly coming back but climate change has slowed this process down some again.

Bluelagoon, Jeep, what you said was very informative, thank you both a lot. I will keep that in mind and try to do my best.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Teo

When they need to navigate thru crowded or space constraints... I think they will flatten and UFO out?
    Alot of my newly acquired fishes have this very bad habit. I reckon it's because they were previously kept in very packed conditions for a long time?
    My self breed fish's don't have this habit of UFO-ing...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12