AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: When to Move From Community Tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abel

Default When to Move From Community Tank

As the title says, when is best to move a pair from the community tank to the breeding tank?
    The pair lay the first eggs today but got eaten within a few minutes, and they didn't really defend the area, was planning to let them lay a few more times to bond a bit more is this wise?

Thanks

Default Re: When to Move From Community Tank

You can do it once you get to wigglers, this way you confirm that you have a fertile pair.
    But I like to leave them until they get to free swimming a few times. This hones their skills and fortifies the pair bond.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abel

Default Re: When to Move From Community Tank

I doubt they'd get to free swimming in the tank due to other tank mates like tetras, golden rams and rainbows but i have 2 separate pairs laying eggs at the moment. Had 1 pair lay eggs twice in 4 days but both batches got eaten near enough straight away, and the 2nd pair managed about 6 hours before eating the eggs. It's strange though the pair who have had eggs twice have started to clean a new area but another of the discus is joining in and there are 3 of them cleaning the same spot, why is this? I think the new discus joining in with the cleaning is a male.