ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Tough Gig

Registered Member Shaun's Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

Default Tough Gig

Had six Adult Discus in my 120g system. 3 red melons, a blue diamond, 2 pigeon bloods. Introduced a beautiful female (now proven) checkerboard x blue turq.
    She decided to pair up with the one of the pigeon bloods, who I know now is a male. He's about 3 years old and approx 6 inches. These guys spawned a few times in the community tank, raised them wonderfully until free swimmer stage, and the story ends there. Hatch rate was ok ish for beginners and considering its a high water flow system with a sump about half the spawn turned white.
    Water data in the community tank:
    KH 1
    GH 4
    PH 6.8 ish
    TDS 160
    Weekly nitrate readings around 15ppm
    Feed once a day

Decided to move the pair to a new breeder tank.
    120 litres
    Painted back and sides etc.
    Filtration is a sponge filter
    Temp is 29c

Water data:
    KH 0
    GH4
    PH 6.8
    TDS 50 to 60
    No nitrate
    50% daily w/c until I see they are going to spawn. They are extremely predictable. I turn the sponge down till only a few tiny bubbles appear. So ZERO current.
    They have spawned 3 times in their new home. First one was the day after they were moved.
    NO SUCCESS thus far.
    White egg syndrome everytime.
    The water conditions are the best possible and cleanest I can provide. Almost perfect.
    IMO, the move has done something to the males fertility. He has not gone thru any temp change issues between the 2 tanks, they are both at 29c.
    The only real difference is the TDS. He is now in far more cleaner pure water.
    I use aged tap water and temp is matched.
    I use ONLY Seachem Safe and nothing else.
    I have a tiny amount of crushed coral ( maybe 10 grams) in a stocking hanging above the sponge bubbles to give a bit of PH buffer, thats it!!
    My tap water TDS is beautiful sitting around 35 to 40
    I have no RO water but do have a 5 stage tap water filter.
    Its TDS is only slightly lower around 20
    I have tried this as well.
    So my conclusion is I DON"T have a water problem. The stage is set for some good breeding but boy this male I think going to be the death of me!!!

I'm not asking for any solutions, I understand this is not an easy gig, but I am patient and love providing for them so we'll just keep chugging along and hope something changes.

Comments welcome!!!
    Just thought i'd share my journey so far.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Tough Gig

Hi Shaun, I would suggest replicating the water conditions you had in the tank minus the nitrate. Plus I would not turn the bubbles down on the sponge (JMO).
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member Shaun's Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

Default Re: Tough Gig

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Shaun, I would suggest replicating the water conditions you had in the tank minus the nitrate. Plus I would not turn the bubbles down on the sponge (JMO).
    Pat
    Hi Pat, thanks for your advice, but my water condx as stated above are not dissimilar apart from a lower TDS in the breeder.
    Anyhow, as the last spawn turned bad, I begin w/c's again for the next 3 days or so and they'll have another crack. Hopefully I get to see them and find out if he's performing the job ok.

I'll leave the sponge running full bubbles this time too.