ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How long it takes for the activated carbon to remove medication ??

Registered Member

Default How long it takes for the activated carbon to remove medication ??

Should never use the Discus Buffer to lower the PH, it stress out my Discus, they got ICK, I bought this Herbtana from Micro Lift which supposed to be natural cure for ICK and other parasites, instruction said to do it for 10 days, I did it for 12 days, one tank seems fine now as I am very careful to use different siphons and buckets to change water for different tank. However, my big tank still got problem. They do not have a lot of ICK, as I spot it right away when I saw 2 White dots on the tail, and started the medication, raised the water to 86F, but everytime 2 white dots is gone, another white dot is on another spot of the Discus or another Discus. The ICK cycle never seem to stop. As the Tomont drops off, the medication supposed to stop the Tomite to send out Theront to look for a host. Up to now, one of them still got 1 white dot left. They are not that sick as they are quite happy eating, except earlier couple of them scrape themselves on the heater or leaves. I should never use that Herbtana to begin with as it said while I am using that, I cannot use any other medication or stuff with copper. Therefore, can somebody be kind enough to tell me how long does it take for the activated carbon to remove medication, such that I can buy the API Super ICK Cure which supposed to work much faster. Also has anybody use the API Super ICK cure to remove ICK from Discus ?? Thanks

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: How long it takes for the activated carbon to remove medication ??

I use just heat for ick treatments and it worked for me every time. Just make sure it's over 86 degrees and never drops below. Once that happens some ick tomonts will survive. In most cases it looks worse just the day or so before it's gone. Takes less time than meds for me. About 5-7 days. Just heat no salt needed.

Registered Member

I put the temperature up to 88 F yesterday instead of 86.

Registered Member

Hi Mervin, thank you sooo much, I do not have to use the Super ICK cure after all even I went and bought it anyway, I put the heat up to 88F as you said over 86F, since they already got this Herbtana before, I scrub all side including the bottom of both tank, and do 50% water change for 20 gallon, and 70% for the bigger tank, put back a new filter with activated carbon inside, with 88F, the next day, all ick is gone, it just disappear. I checked very closely with the magnifying glass, it is really gone, even the white torn part of the fins is gone, now they are happy campers again. I truly appreciate your advice

Real Name
    Mervin

Glad it worked for you.