AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New discus showing symptoms of sickness...any thoughts?

Registered Member

Default Re: New discus showing symptoms of sickness...any thoughts?

I agree that local fish store stocks may be a crap shoot, especially for expensive fish. I have an offshoot question. "Aged water", is one or more days? I use API Aquarium Salt. Maybe change that? A side note. I just learned something about my discus. About 6 inches now.The salt was next to the aquarium. As I reached for the salt it spooked the fish. One jumped and flipped the cover open. He landed on the floor. A mad scrabble ensued as I tried to capture the flopping critter with one hand while trying to move the lid with the other so that I could get him back into the aquarium. Now I wonder if any acids secreted by my fingers will affect the skin of the fish? My grand dad had told me that when we catch fish while fishing to only hold the fish with wet hands. Any thoughts? About the salt and now picking up the escapee? I am now looking for a brick to placed on the top of the aquarium cover.

Registered Member

Mervin,

Thanks for the advice. I suppose I misinterpreted some of the suggestions/information I saw on some videoos--glad to know that I can add Prime directly into the tank. So clarifying: for aging water, I will just need to let sit for 24+ hours at the same temperature and with an air stone?

And I can tell now (could not tell before--I wish I took photos of them when I first got them because Blue was looking probably the best out of the bunch initially) that Blue's eyes are way to big for his body, and his shape is slightly off. Hopefully I can get him to recover.

Thanks all.

Alex

Registered Member

All,

So, time for an update. Today is day 3 of PraziPro treatment, so I did a minor (20%) WC with aged water, and put in 2 tbsp of salt along with appropriate amount of Prime to dechlorinate.

These photos are pre-WC:

https://imgur.com/gallery/RRjU1Bx

You can see that Blue's color is (slightly) returning, and his dorsal fin is up, and his pelvic/ventral fins are not clamped anymore (they have been clamped for 3 days at least). EDIT: Also, all fish were more active than usual; Blue was even swimming around the tank normally while I was doing the WC--very unusual behavior for him compared to his behavior the past few days.

The course of action that I will follow (based on everyone's advice) is to do a large WC (50-75%) in 2 days and continue salt treatment with Furan-2 (following the directions on the box).

I will continue to post updates/photos when I notice significant changes.

Thanks again everybody.

Alex

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    I agree that local fish store stocks may be a crap shoot, especially for expensive fish. I have an offshoot question. "Aged water", is one or more days? I use API Aquarium Salt. Maybe change that? A side note. I just learned something about my discus. About 6 inches now.The salt was next to the aquarium. As I reached for the salt it spooked the fish. One jumped and flipped the cover open. He landed on the floor. A mad scrabble ensued as I tried to capture the flopping critter with one hand while trying to move the lid with the other so that I could get him back into the aquarium. Now I wonder if any acids secreted by my fingers will affect the skin of the fish? My grand dad had told me that when we catch fish while fishing to only hold the fish with wet hands. Any thoughts? About the salt and now picking up the escapee? I am now looking for a brick to placed on the top of the aquarium cover.
    Hi, if salt is something your using on a regular basis for South American fish, you should stop. It is not good for and/or intended for long term use. It should only be used for antidotes and treatments.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 07-01-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Real Name
    Mervin

Aged water usually is about 24 hours or more, but in a pinch a few hours is better than none.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Hi, if salt is something your using on a regular basis for South American fish, you should stop. It is not good for and/or intended for long term use. It should only be used for antidotes and treatments.
    Thank you!!! Sometimes I think I give the appearance of recommending its use too often, but your comment is exactly my intent!!!

Registered Member

Update: Blue has regained more of his color. His behavior has drastically changed and is probably the most active in the tank, especially during eating.

I do have a question: Should I re-treat with PraziPro? I’ve heard that some parasites will lay eggs and the eggs will lie dormant throughout treatmeant and will hatch until the Prazipro has left the tank.

Or should I go ahead and use Furan?

Oh, and some photos:

https://imgur.com/gallery/77VFT4P

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Thank you!!! Sometimes I think I give the appearance of recommending its use too often, but your comment is exactly my intent!!!
    I was starting to think that you had stock in Morton... lol.... :-D

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by dandyale View Post
    Update: Blue has regained more of his color. His behavior has drastically changed and is probably the most active in the tank, especially during eating.

I do have a question: Should I re-treat with PraziPro? I’ve heard that some parasites will lay eggs and the eggs will lie dormant throughout treatmeant and will hatch until the Prazipro has left the tank.

Or should I go ahead and use Furan?

Oh, and some photos:

https://imgur.com/gallery/77VFT4P

Alex
    I would hold off on the prazi at this time. It's most only good for tapeworms and flukes and I'm not sure yours have either unless you see signs of flukes. The blue one is looking a little better but to be honest will never reach its potential after being sick so early on. This condition began before you acquired them so don't feel bad.

I've never had to use Furan 2 so all I can do is recommend based upon others experiences. I would go ahead and run the Furan 2 unless anyone disagrees.

Registered Member

Brian,

Thank you. I’ll start Furan today.

A couple of photos for an update:

https://imgur.com/gallery/bqxV5qB

Alex

Real Name
    Brian

Just be prepared to watch the water closely. Furan will damage the bio filter and I would hate to see an ammonia spike after all they've been through!

Registered Member

Okay, thanks—that’s great to know. I’ll pay extra-close attention to water parameters.

That's quite an improvement. Shows you got good advice and followed it well. Have fun watching him continue to improve.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

All,

Here is an update on Blue:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Z2jr6WA

I now have another problem.
    Tiger-Stripe is now showing symptoms of the following nature:

Erratic swimming, including (seemingly) loss of control. Doing “backflips,” hitting the sides. Not eating either. Eyes appear a bit cloudy.

He has a couple of scrapes on him now from running into things.

Any clue about this?
    Shouldn’t be chlorine because I’ve treated with prime. Ammonia, N’s are 0 or very near.

Alex

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Alex, how did you dose the furan 2?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast