AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Kitty litter (clay and zeolite) disposable mechanical filter.

Default Kitty litter (clay and zeolite) disposable mechanical filter.

I'm setting up my tank and pondering my extreme hatred of cleaning mechanical filters, and how much of it I will be doing to keep my planned aquarium healthy and I've come up with something that might make life much easier.

I'm thinking about filling a mesh bottom tray with clay kitty litter and using that as a mechanical filter (in my sump), much like we would a bit of filter wool, a sock or a sponge. When media blocks (probably every couple of days or so) It gets thrown away and replaced with new, cheap, clean kitty litter.

I also like the idea of the clay and zeolite in the kitty litter binding up ammonia before it reaches the biofilter.

I've had a look at the kitty litter anoxic filter thread, this is different.

Any thoughts?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Kitty litter (clay and zeolite) disposable mechanical filter.

If the clay/zeolite binds up ammonia b4 it reaches the bio filter you will have no bio filter . Ammonia feeds the bacteria that create nitrite, and nitrite feeds the bacteria that create nitrate, so no ammonia available = no bio filtration. For that reason I would not recommend you plan. Now if it completely eliminates ammonia and you are faithfully able to change it before it gets exhausted (fully impregnated) then it may be viable, but any deviation in routine may result in killing your prized discus with ammonia poisoning.
    Conceptually it sounds like a feasible technique but in practicality I'm not sure it is a truly viable option...

Fair call DT. I doubt that a couple of litres of cheap as kitty litter would completely illiminate the nitrogen from the system, If so It would be gods gift to aquarium folks

I'm a professional aquaculture guy. I have spent the last decade and a bit breeding prawns and Barramundi. The last barra hatchery had a 300 000 Litre recirculating system. Mechanical filtration was via a fantastic contraption called a rotating drum filter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljail9FVuRI . These are fantastic as they remove solid waste from the system before it decomposes and become liquid. Fish farmers know these well.Removing solids before they become aqueous N, P and K is key to efficient filtration and can reduce nitrate and accumulation in a very big way. Sadly, there is no self cleaning mechanical filters for the aquarium folks (that I know of).

I'm not going to clean my mechanical filter four times a day and solid waste is going to decompose. I thought it might be nice if some of the nitrogenous waste was adsorbed by the mechanical filtration before it flows on to the biofilter. Anyways, my biofilter is brewing fishless at the moment, the mech filter will come after. The big appeal to me is having a cheap as chips filter material that I can just chuck every few days, quick and simple. Any other benefits would be secondary.

Just thoughts - An aquarium size drum filter would be awesome, except that they are extremely loud.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I hear ya mate. I am familiar with the rotating drum as I have followed AC trends for decades and have been an aquaponics (backyard not commercial size) bloke for about 10 yrs. I don't have a system currently unfortunately.

I agree that your idea could work, it's just the possibility of a sharp ammonia rise in the absence seamless management of that component of your filtration. Time away on hols would require the availability of someone to keep the litter changes going.

I just had 18 days on North Straddie where my folks live. No water changes 6 bare min feeds and I came home to healthy hungry discus. I use a 3 stage sump in my 400 litre tank with 5 x 6" adult discus. I feed 1 time daily, vac waste in tank and wipe down inner surfaces weekly with a 75% WC, rinse weekly and replace monthly a piece of sheet filter wool in stage 1. Pretty basic set up and easy to maintain.

Keep us posted on the progression of your thoughts. Especially if you come up with a micro revolving drum that is quiet!

Cheers mate
    Last edited by danotaylor; 07-02-2019 at 06:28 AM.