ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: skendker discus

Registered Member

Arrow skendker discus

Attachment 124246

hellp my babies are not well,

i is showen signs of cloudy eye, i am away at the moment so cant check perimiters, the rest are all staying at the bottom off the tak and not coming up for the feed, they have been like this now for 5 days,

i do a 40% water change a week religiously, but if there is waste food or matter i will do a quick 20%change, there the only fish in the tank. usually when ever you go near the tank there up to the top in full bloom, you can put a washed (soap free ) hand in the tank and they swim through your fingers. now there all staying at the bottom and look dark in colour.

i have tried to add some picture not sure if works pc has aloud then

the wife has went to the LFS where i got them and he has given Actiflavin, to treat with.

has anyone else had this problem.

Attachment 124248IMG_5109.jpgIMG_5107.jpgIMG_5102.jpg

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: skendker discus

Bump your water changes with aged water to 50% every day, at least until they are better. I would also add 3-4 TBS salt per 10 gallons, replace the salt after each water change for 7 days. Hold off on the actiflavin.

If you can fill out this form and paste it back on this thread we might be able to uncover more info.. The fact that they are from a LFS can be a concern

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete

Brian

Registered Member

Brian, thank you for the advice, 1st water change done treated with salt, came home tonight to find them worse than ever.

Jbl proscan

Nitrate hi 75

Nitrite 0.25

Kh 0

Ph 6

Chlorine 0

C02 15

B7DB38FE-D077-49D6-9673-DA216ED2BC4D.jpg16583795-EF5B-4795-9BF6-208DB2B6E1DF.jpg0B0209D0-FEE9-4C2C-923F-63635C73CCF9.jpg492420FB-6BB3-44F3-B9D3-0D486C75F3A5.jpg

Registered Member

How long has your tank been setup?

Real Name
    Brian

Can you fill out the questionnaire please? Nitrates at 75??? What's the ammonia reading???

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by alron2 View Post
    How long has your tank been setup?
    tank has been running for approx 7 months.

Registered Member

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Damage to eyes, very lethargic staying at bottom of tank and just picking at there feed

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    cloudy eyes some fin damage

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    Advice by LFS 20ml Actiflavin, 50% water change done 13 tble spoons off aquarium salts added.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    2x2ft foot print 3 feet high, x7 Stendker's

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    30 - 40% weekly

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    tank running 7mths, coral sand 2/3"

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    no

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __29___

- ph ___6__

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading __0.25__

- nitrate reading ___50_

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __100__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

no new fish, all fish bought from same LFS

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Stendker beef heart twice a day

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

JBL.jpgIMG_5375.jpgIMG_5376.jpgIMG_5377.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Paul, looks like your ph crashed to me based on the eyes and fins of the fish plus having no kh and the ph reading "<6". Plus the nitrates being 50 indicates a serious lack of water changes. If this was me in your situation I would start with a 40% daily water change to ease the ph and kh up and knock the nitrates down.

Since the fish are in such poor water conditions I would be concerned about changing the water too fast. Note that this is a gut feeling from me and not based on experience. After a couple days of improving water conditions I would increase the percentage of water changes to 50% or better and add salt to the tank. Brian (jeep) can recommend a salt dosage.

Once the fish are begin to recover the next thing to look at is the kh of your tap water. Is it really low? So measure that when you get a chance.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening