ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nitrite in tap water

Real Name
    Ally

Default Nitrite in tap water

Hi everyone!

I am in the middle of doing my research to make sure I can care for Discus adequately before I dive in, and at the moment I am doing a ton of water checks. I am finding, annoyingly, a reading of .25ppm nitrite straight out of the tap, and after aging a barrel of water 24 hours (twice) I am still seeing .25ppm nitrite and no nitrate, but also .5ppm ammonia. I am using a new API freshwater master test kit.

I am thinking about adding a RO unit to my routine, however I will only maybe get 15/20 gallons a day. I would rather avoid adding an RO unit too.

I am wondering though, if I add an internal filter to my aging bucket (as I also get a swing from ph 8.4 to 6.4 in around 12 hours), and then the canister filter on the tank itself (size and make not yet decided) if that will break down the nitrite enough so as not to be a concern? I don't want to add any life to the aging bucket though as it will be in the dark (garage) so I am not sure if the bacteria could be supported on the tap nitrites alone.

I have also read that Prime can neutralize ammonia and nitrites? Is this to a noticeable degree?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Pudmuppy; 07-04-2019 at 06:50 PM.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Nitrite in tap water

Here's a bit of a read about Seachem Prime. https://www.reddit.com/r/Aquariums/c...itritenitrate/

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

You should definitely be aging your water with that pH swing. I'd also get a KH and GH test kit or at least your local water report to see why it is settling so low. Given that information, a bag of coral in your filter might be useful.

If you use a simple sponge filter to aerate your water in an aging bucket you should, with time, develop suitable bacteria to consume nitrite. It should be able to take care of the nitrite in <24h. Using an air-driven sponge will also settle your pH. Obviously that nitrite will be converted to nitrate and you'll be adding that to your tank but it'll only be a couple ppm and with adequate WC it shouldn't be an issue.

Prime neutralizes ammonia, chloramine and chlorine. It might contain some sodium chloride or the sulfite also competes with nitrite so they can claim it detoxifies it, but I would not be relying on it. Aging your water with a biologically active sponge is how I would address your issue.

Thanks James. I have never dealt with water like that so had no idea what would work. Good luck Ally.
    Mama Bear

That's an interesting one.

API test kits are known to give false results, especially if they have been on the shelf for a while. I'd run your tap water for 10 min to clear the lines, then take a sample to the LFS and ask them to test it. See what results they get.

Does your water have chlorine? If so, chlorine is very good at oxidising NO2, producing NO3, so chlorinated sources should not show nitrites.

RO is an option, but very wasteful and water production is slow. This really sucks if you need to do large emergency exchanges.

Double checking those parameters at a good LFS is where I'd start.

Thanks for helping with a situation is over my head, Cooper.
    Mama Bear

Happy to share. To be clear, I haven't kept discus for many years but I'm stetting up a tank now My background is aquaculture, mostly barramundi and prawn hatcheries, my water quality knowledge is pretty good (for what it's worth) I'm here to learn and help where I can.

Cheers

Real Name
    Ally

Thanks everyone! I am pretty baffled by this water. I used to work in a tropical fish shop in the UK and have never seen readings like this - but the area I live in now (Dallas) seems to be known for weird drinking water, there are often articles about it from the human being side (but won't someone please think of the fishies!) I like your idea of taking it to a local shop to be checked, I am actually going to be scoping out a new shop next weekend so I might try there. I also just bought a couple of different brand kits to compare. The fact that my current readings are so different from what my previous kit says, does make me wonder if I am part of the API issue I read about recently.

I had assumed my water had chlorine but that's an interesting point.

I would really rather avoid using RO as I hate water wastage, and my plants will be more than happy with the amount I would be draining from the tank every other day to justify adding the waste water

I will certainly be aging the water from now on, even just for my goldfish/newts - it might explain the seemingly random deaths that I and a few others have had with our goldies. I have started buffering their water with coral actually, as they are not fans of the low PH

Just trying to decide if I want to take the risk with Discus in this water or stick to something a little hardier! I don't mind a challenge, but I dislike a challenge that may be insanely time consuming, expensive, frustrating and result in the death of my fish. I can save that for when I retire/win the lottery.......

Is the new shop you're going to using the same water company as you? While they test your water ask what they do with their water.

I don't believe that in all the years I've been on Simply I have ever seen the water readings straight from the tap that you have. I know how much you would like a tank of happy healthy Discus. I hope you can find an easy answer so that you can have what you want.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

I believe your nitrite reading is a false positive. Nitrite occurs very fleetingly during nitrogen cycling. It would not occur in your tap water. In any case, you should plan to aerate your water for 24 hours for the pH to adjust.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Ally

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I believe your nitrite reading is a false positive. Nitrite occurs very fleetingly during nitrogen cycling. It would not occur in your tap water. In any case, you should plan to aerate your water for 24 hours for the pH to adjust.

Good luck, Willie
    ooookay, I am very confused as to what is going on now and I think I agree with you Willie, it seems like there is something showing up that shouldn't be.

I decided to test my newt/goldfish tank which has been established for over a year, and contains two very messy fancies. I hold my hand up that I haven't tested this tank in a couple of weeks, and only tested with the old kit, which showed the tank and my tap water as being ph 6.4/6, no ammonia, no nitrites, nitrates occasionally 5ppm...

New API kit - PH 6.4, Ammonia 0.5ppm, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates 0

That can't be right??? Tank is very well established, lightly planted, busy, hungry, spoilt and probably overfed goldfish that are happy and healthy - although I do around 30% water changes every two-three days, and I did do a 50% yesterday morning. Still, surely there should be some nitrates showing up?

I have bought a Seachem Ammonia test, and I think I will buy a Nitrite/Nitrate one too now, as I need to see a different brand's results to see if it is just the tapwater/me or if there is actually something wrong with this kit.... also going to take water sample to local fish shop next saturday - I believe they are on the same water as me, but will check....

Dang Ally, you're a Pit Bull when it comes to getting to the bottom of something, aren't you. I don't have enough of that. I admire it in you.
    Mama Bear

Yep, I'd piss off the API kits and get something more reputable. See what results you get from the LFS.

API is attractive. They are cheap and have minimal reagents which makes them easy to use. Shame they don't work reliably (especially the nitrite).

Mine have always been reliable, but you never know. Quality control should have taken care of it, but if a lot of people had a problem with it perhaps they didn't. What is the expiration date on your API test kit?
    Mama Bear

I killed about 100 000 barramudii at the work place because the API nitrite test measured 0.5 when it was actully 40ppm. I't was extremely hard to find the true problem as the test's said everything was fine.

Sad few weeks there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast