ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: My 4 month fry stopped eating

Registered Member

Default My 4 month fry stopped eating

I have felt over the last 2 weeks my fry ha e eaten less and less. Today I dropped some beefheart in with no to little interest. Water change have been every other day 💯. Almost all still alive from beginning. Maybe 3 died. Has my luck run out??? They are in a 80 gallon tank all together. Temp had Been 30c but 3 days ago raised it to 31. I have been stupid and did see White poop over the last month and did nothing!

Am I right to raise temp to 33 over 2 days. Or even higher? Then do water changes everyday? It sucks cause I am talking a trip on the 26 for 10 days!! Help!! Thanks

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: My 4 month fry stopped eating

White poop and off their food usually means hex. Heat treatment is ok, but I'm not sure how high in celcius. 90F is typical. Since you're leaving soon I would dose 500mg/10 gal of pure metro for the next 12 days with a 50% wc before each subsequent days dosing.

Real Name
    Brian

How big are they? I guessing about 3"?
    What is your water change routine?
    Can you give us nitrate readings?
    Have you noticed any sign of flukes?
    Can you post a photo?

If this is classic hex, heat and metro are good along with 93 heat for 10-14 days...

Registered Member

I have been doing 💯 water changes 3 sometime 2 times a week. I raised to 33c I little over 90. I added metroplex. They look the same as always. I have about 40 in an 80G tank. Some sizes are 2.0 to 3.5 inches. They are a week shy of 4 months old. Reading coming soon. What would be the signs of fluks? They look a little dark but they always looked this way. Never much color. Ya they aren't even eating bloodworms?? Very strange

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

It takes several days minimally for metro to start to deal with hex and sometimes longer for appetite to return. Be patient

Real Name
    Brian

This isn't really a sign of flukes, I was just eliminating... 40 small discus in an 80g tank is fine, but at 2-3 water changes per week I'm curious if there is a nitrate issue that may be causing this...

Danny is correct. Positive results from a heat/metro treatment may not be apparent until 2 weeks have passed...

Sometimes it doesn't take that long to see improvement. If you're late catching it it will take longer. Do as Danny suggests and give us a nitrate reading. If it's over 5 I suggest larger and more frequent WC.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Will check it again thanks