AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 2 hob for discus grow out

Registered Member

Default 2 hob for discus grow out

Hey all. Thinking about growing out 10 juvenile 2.5 inch discus in a 75 BB. The tanks been cycling. I already have an aquaclear 110, penguin biowheel 350 and a sponge filter on the tank. I really dont want to spend the extra cash on a canister since I already have the 2 hob filters. Would both filters on the 75 be too much flow for the juvenile discus?.. I can turn down the flow on the 110 on low.

Registered Member

Default Re: 2 hob for discus grow out

i think the filtration that you have they should be just fine if they start looking stressed maybe lower the flow but id think theyll be ok good luck

Registered Member

Thanks!.... bump for more opinions

Real Name
    Willie

I don't think filtration or over-filtration matters when you're raising 2.5" discus. It's completely dependent on the size and frequency of water changes. I raise small discus on sponge filters because they get daily W/C's. There are other threads on Simply showing others that have produce 6" - 7" fish in 12 months just by doing water changes.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

My question was if the flow of both hob would be too much flow on the upper half of the tank for the juveniles, not if my filtration is sufficient. Both hobs together will suffice with routine wcs

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I don't think filtration or over-filtration matters when you're raising 2.5" discus. It's completely dependent on the size and frequency of water changes. I raise small discus on sponge filters because they get daily W/C's. There are other threads on Simply showing others that have produce 6" - 7" fish in 12 months just by doing water changes.

Willie
    That was me Willie. I did 2 times 80 to 90% WC daily and within one year, all my discus grow to 7" big round dinner plates

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Trey

Hey Eugene ....thats very encouraging as I am in the planning to order some fish and that maybe the way to grow them out inn holding tanks till the main set up is ready

appreciated.

trey

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandnukka15 View Post
    My question was if the flow of both hob would be too much flow on the upper half of the tank for the juveniles, not if my filtration is sufficient. Both hobs together will suffice with routine wcs
    No, it will be fine. In fact it will be beneficial for surface agitation. I watched the vid a few months ago of discus in their natural habitat and that current was swift. Swifter than i expected. Not saying our pampered domestics are accustomed to the same but they can handle more current and flow than we think.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    Hey Eugene ....thats very encouraging as I am in the planning to order some fish and that maybe the way to grow them out inn holding tanks till the main set up is ready

appreciated.

trey
    If you can keep up with the daily W/C and feed them FDBW, dry food and beef heart mix food like 6 times a day, you will end up having healthy, nice color and huge round shape discus. Feeding FDBW in the monring and evening. Dry food during the day by using automatic feeding machine and hand feed beef heart mix once a day.

D7.jpg

D6.jpg

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by eugenefish View Post
    If you can keep up with the daily W/C and feed them FDBW, dry food and beef heart mix food like 6 times a day, you will end up having healthy, nice color and huge round shape discus. Feeding FDBW in the monring and evening. Dry food during the day by using automatic feeding machine and hand feed beef heart mix once a day.
    Pictures don't lie! These are beautiful specimen.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by eugenefish View Post

D7.jpg

D6.jpg

What dry food do you feed and what is your beefheart mix?

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Just my 2 cents.
    I do not like the Penguin Bio HOB filters.
    That wheel just does not want to turn.
    I had them for years and fought with them all the time

Real Name
    Tom

Better yet Vinnie the wheel is useless. But the rest of the filter works great! If that wheel did anything someone else would have used it. Just for looks .

Registered Member

When I think of wheels I think of hamsters. Could that wheel that you are referring to find good use those who raise hamsters? Or is simply as usless as a wiener on a hamburger bun?

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Better yet Vinnie the wheel is useless. But the rest of the filter works great! If that wheel did anything someone else would have used it. Just for looks .
    It would get all gummed up in the propeller area too.

They brag about 100 xs the oxygen with you use their product.

I will not be buying Penguin stuff again.